The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

The charge against Donald Trump’s immigration so-called proposals is that they’re nonsensical word salad meant to appeal to white people.

Deport 2 million people, in the first hour of your presidency? Yes, Donald Trump did promise that last night, along with an ideological test on immigrants and a plan to begin forcing the rest of the 11 million undocumented people out of the country… after the inaugural ball, I suppose.

Word salad. Nonsense. Impossible. These are not real proposals, or if they are, then Donald Trump also plans on bankrupting the Department of Homeland Security, creating another recession by taking millions of people out of the work force, and deporting the citizen children of undocumented immigrants, because, as Trump has said: We won’t split up the families (that would be cruel) they are all leaving.

So it may have been a bit shocking to hear Corey Lewandowski say that Trump’s red meat speech last night was aimed at white men specifically, but it wasn’t a surprise at all. That has been the aim of Trump’s whole campaign, and watching him gaslight his supporters last week with an alleged “softening,” on immigration, by briefly proposing that “the good ones” be allowed to stay, turned out to be one of the media’s vague, Trumpian fever dreams: It happened, but not really.

Thankfully, Lewandowski, who is at once a paid commentator for CNN and an informal advisor to the Trump campaign, from whom he is also receiving severance pay, set the record straight last night. The “America First” theme, and Trump’s rabid immigration speech, he said, were meant for a specific demographic.

Then again, given Trump’s shocking change in tone over the few hours it took for him to cross the border, perhaps this whole campaign is built to please whomever he happens to be speaking to at the time.

Video: CNN, The Guardian

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

National Guard Maj. Gen. William Walker

Photo from Facebook

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Maj. Gen. William Walker, the commander of the National Guard in Washington, D.C., delivered disturbing new testimony on Wednesday about the delay in deployment of his forces during the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

Keep reading... Show less

Close