The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

After GOP nominee Donald Trump’s severe speech on immigration Wednesday, in which he reiterated his prior policy of mass deportations, several previously-supportive Latino community leaders may be rethinking their endorsements, reports Politico.

Members of Trump’s own National Hispanic Advisory Council either immediately jumped ship or have stated they are thinking about it, after his rabidly anti-immigrant speech last night. Jacob Monty, a Texas attorney and one of the members of Trump’s council, resigned Thursday morning, and Remiro Pena, a pastor from Texas also on the Council, said he would reconsider his connections to the Trump team, calling it a “scam.”

Monty stated he was a “strong supporter of Donald Trump” when he thought immigration would be addressed “realistically and compassionately,” but could not continue to support him after the speech. Monty has also said he will no longer be raising money for Trump in Texas.

Pena sent an email to Republican leaders, including members of the Trump team, which Politico obtained.

“I am so sorry but I believe Mr. Trump lost the election tonight,” Pena wrote.

Alfonso Aguilar, president of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, said he had not made a decision one way or another on his support of Trump, but was “inclined” to backtrack his endorsement. Aguilar had previously been critical of Trump but ultimately decided to support him.

“It’s so disappointing because we feel we took a chance, a very risky chance,” Aguilar said to Politico. “We decided to make a big U-turn to see if we could make him change. We thought we were moving in the right direction… we’re disappointed. We feel misled.”

Photo: Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina on June 14, 2016.  REUTERS/Jonathan Drake

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

The federal judge overseeing the Oath Keepers conspiracy case in the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection ordered their trial delayed this week, primarily because of the overwhelming amount of evidence still being produced in their cases. Though the delay was expected, its reasons are stark reminders that Jan. 6 will be one of the most complex prosecutions in history and that the investigation remains very active as more evidence piles up. There are likely some very big shoes still to drop.

Keep reading... Show less

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

COVID-19 is now the second-leading cause of death in the United States, despite the availability of safe, effective, and free vaccines. The promise of those vaccines showed itself when they first became widely available and COVID-19 dropped to be seventh on the list of causes of death.
Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}