Hillary Clinton Draws Sharp Contrast With Trump in Economic Speech: Makes 30 Promises to American Workers
Published with permission from Alternet
It wasn’t too hard to trump Donald Trump’s big economic policy speech in Detroit on Monday. And Hillary Clinton easily made it over that hurdle. “[Trump] describes America like an embarrassment,” Hillary Clinton told factory workers in Warren, Michigan on Thursday. “There are really good jobs out there if you get the skills!”
Calling Trump “the enemy of the little guy, whose plan only works for those at the top,” Clinton explained that her plan didn’t just include saving jobs, but also getting on-the-job training for new industries.
Here’s what Hillary promised to do for America in her speech:
1. Put political progress above ideology.
2. Make the rich pay their fair share of taxes.
3. Implement the biggest investment in new good-paying jobs since World War II.
4. Connect underserved neighborhoods to opportunities.
5. Modernize transportation systems.
6. Expand affordable housing.
7. Repair schools.
8. Repair water systems.
9. Connect every household to broadband by 2020.
10. Build a cleaner, more resilient power grid.
11. Make the U.S. a clean energy superpower.
12. Unleash the power of the private sector.
13. Create an infrastructure bank to get private funds off the sidelines.
14. Invest $10 billion in “Make It in America” partnerships to support American manufacturing.
15. Expand new market tax credit.
16. Expand access to credit through community banks and credit unions.
17. Propose a new plan to simplify tax filing for small businesses.
18. Promote training programs where you “earn while you learn.”
19. Make college free for the middle class.
20. Make college debt-free for everyone.
21. Stop any deal that shuts down wages, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
22. Increase accessibility to childcare for middle-income parents.
23. Reform Social Security.
24. Support comprehensive immigration reform to prevent undocumented workers from being exploited.
25. Improve the Affordable Care Act.
26. Strengthen labor unions.
27. Overturn Citizens United.
28. Raise the minimum wage.
29. Expand voting rights.
30. Bring the progress of innovating Michigan communities to every community.
Photo: U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton speaks at Futuramic Tool & Engineering in Warren, Michigan August 11, 2016. REUTERS/Chris Keane