Reprinted with permission from Alternet
The Department of Justice arrested and charged over 500 people who attacked the U.S. Capitol on January 6, many in a coordinated effort to overturn a free and fair election. DOJ expects to charge about 100 others as well.
"The investigation and prosecution of the Capitol Attack will likely be one of the largest in American history, both in terms of the number of defendants prosecuted and the nature and volume of the evidence," the U.S. attorney's office in D.C. wrote in March, when the list of people to be charged was estimated at about 400, The Washington Post reported at the time.
On Tuesday, as the newly-minted U.S. House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack launches, holding its first day of events, four far right wing House Republicans – some of whom has been linked to white nationalists – will be holding a different type of event.
Instead of working to uncover and piece together all the information about what happened on Jan. 6, including what led up to the attempted coup, four GOP representatives – Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar, Marjorie Taylor Greene – will hold a press conference on the "treatment" of the January 6 "prisoners," suggesting they are "political prisoners," which is false.
The four extremists will hold that press conference Tuesday at 1 PM, "demanding answers on the treatment of January 6 prisoners" from Attorney General Merrick Garland, per a press release.
"This is taking place on the same day as the January 6 select committee's first hearing," Forbes' Andrew Solender reports. House Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy "is also holding a presser ahead of that to counter-program."
"The lawmakers have all pushed a baseless conspiracy theory that federal agents were behind the attack, with Gosar also casting slain rioter Ashli Babbitt – who was shot by law enforcement while trying to breach the House chamber – as a martyr," Solender says in a Forbes article.
INBOX: GOP Reps. Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar and Marjorie Taylor Greene are holding a presser outside the DOJ tomorrow "demanding answers on the treatment of Jan. 6 prisoners."\n\nThese are four of the House's most prolific downplayers of the attack.pic.twitter.com/KL75a1ERgJ— Andrew Solender (@Andrew Solender) 1627327671
- Greene Claims Capitol Riot Defendants Are 'Like Political Prisoners ... ›
- For Defending Capitol Rioters, Rep. Gosar Faces Censure And ... ›
- Republicans Want No Independent Probe Of Jan. 6 Insurrection ... ›
- Trump's GOP Still Belongs To Putin -- And Leaves America ... ›
- Greene Objects To FBI 'Targeting' Capitol Rioters - National Memo ›
- Boastful Jailhouse Letter Reveals Jan. 6 Rioter's Radicalization ... ›
- Capitol Rioters' Own Footage Powers New York Times 'Day Of ... ›
- House Republicans Who Quit Are Still Whining About Jan. 6 Panel - National Memo ›
- House Republicans Explode As Capitol Police Enforce Masking Rules - National Memo ›
- House Democrat: Republicans 'treating Capitol Police like shit' were ... ›
- Trump Joins House Republicans in Disrespecting U.S. Capitol ... ›
- New details about Trump-McCarthy shouting match show Trump ... ›
- House GOP's Top Capitol Riot Downplayers Plan DOJ Stunt To ... ›
- House Republicans protest 'treatment of 6 January prisoners' as riot ... ›
- Biden slams Capitol rioters as 'domestic terrorists': 'Don't dare call ... ›
- Comparison between Capitol siege, BLM protests is denounced ›
- Trump new: GOP defends Capitol rioters as Biden test drives new ... ›