The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

New Delhi (AFP) – Israel and Hamas have agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire in the Gaza conflict, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said early Friday.

Kerry said that the two sides would begin the truce at 8 am local time and that Israelis and Palestinians would enter talks in Cairo.

The top U.S. diplomat said the ceasefire would last for 72 hours “unless extended.”

“During this time the forces on the ground will remain in place,” Kerry said.

“This ceasefire is critical to giving innocent civilians a much-needed reprieve from violence,” Kerry said in a hastily arranged mid-morning statement on a visit to New Delhi.

Kerry said he was announcing the truce jointly with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who has also invested intense efforts in brokering an end to the bloody conflict.

“During this period, civilians in Gaza will receive urgently needed humanitarian relief, and the opportunity to carry out vital functions, including burying the dead, taking care of the injured, and restocking food supplies,” Kerry said.

“Overdue repairs on essential water and energy infrastructure could also continue during this period.”

Kerry said he had been working the phones with the Middle East from New Delhi in hopes of brokering a halt to the conflict, which has killed 1,435 people over 24 days, largely Palestinian civilians.

Israel launched the offensive on July 8 in hopes of ending rocket fire from Hamas, the Islamist militant group that effectively controls the densely populated Gaza Strip.

Israel expanded the offensive on July 17 with a ground operation aimed at destroying a sophisticated network of cross-border tunnels.

The announcement of the truce came even though the Israeli army has mobilized another 16,000 reservists, hiking the total number of soldiers called up to 86,000. Israel does not say how many troops are currently fighting inside the Gaza Strip.

The UN Security Council has called for humanitarian pauses in Gaza and renewed its appeal for an immediate ceasefire, even though repeated appeals for a truce had gone unheeded.

AFP Photo/Jack Guez

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Former President Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

'Tonight the FBI officially became the enemy of the people!!!' Rep. Ronny Jackson of Texas tweeted.

House and Senate Republicans are irate over the raid by FBI agents on Monday at former President Donald Trump's Florida estate and have vowed to defund the agency and seek retribution against it should the GOP regain control of Congress in November.

The promise to take funding from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and launch probes into the agency's search of Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence came in a flood of tweets after Trump himself confirmed that federal law enforcement officers had carried out the raid. Media reports said the FBI was searching for possible boxes of classified materials that Trump might have improperly removed from the White House when he left office.

Keep reading... Show less
Youtube Screenshot

America’s right-wing extremists have been hankering for a civil war for a long time now, and in particular have been eager to start using their guns in defense of Donald Trump ever since he came onto the political scene. They tried to start a civil war on Trump’s behalf after he lost on January 6, 2021.

So to no one’s great surprise, they’re currently flooding social media and right-wing media bandwidth with vows to begin a civil war on Trump’s behalf after the FBI executed a search warrant at the ex-president’s Florida waterfront estate, Mar-a-Lago, and seized evidence in a yet-unspecified investigation. The rhetoric is mostly a mixture of over-the-top hysteria and dark threats, and it’s being wielded by everyone from congressional Republicans to anonymous militiamen.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}