The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Bernie Sanders celebrated his landslide victory in New Hampshire by making a special appearance with Stephen Colbert, and helped to open the show: “You’ve got to follow your hearts, go your own way. The revolution is possible — you are the revolution — and this time, the revolution will literally be televised.”

Bernie also sat down on the couch, and talked about his appeal to the idealism of young voters, as contrasted with the cynicism and fear-mongering of Donald Trump. And as a special bonus, he pointed out that Bill O’Reilly has threatened to move out of the country if he wins: “So electing me is a twofer!”

Jimmy Fallon also featured a “Bernie Sanders” of sorts, with a special reenactment of Bernie’s victory speech.

Trevor Noah went over the results for all the candidates — and explained that both Sanders and Trump made history in their own way: “Bernie Sanders became the first Jewish person to win a presidential primary — while Donald Trump became the first pile of old garbage covered in old vodka sauce to win a presidential primary.”

Larry Wilmore played back Marco Rubio’s confession to his supporters that disappointing result was all on him, after he did so badly on Saturday night, and his promises that it won’t happen again. “Fun fact,” Larry observed. “That sound bite is ten times more fun if you imagine he’s sitting up in bed saying the exact same thing.”

Seth Meyers sought to dispel the idea that the two insurgent winners in New Hampshire, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump, are in any way similar: “The only things they have in common is they are both bad at using combs — and they both pronounce it, ‘yuge.'”

Conan O’Brien observed a crucial statistic from the exit polls: “In New Hampshire, 64 percent of Republicans want to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. — 64 percent. The other 36 percent are familiar with the Constitution.”

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Nebraska's Sand Hills

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, “It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” Even so, I’m willing to go on record as saying people predicting an impending civil war or the imminent breakup of the United States are quite mistaken.

For all the turmoil and bad feeling abroad in the land, not to mention on the Internet, the things that bind Americans together as a people are far stronger than the things that divide us. Which is the main reason I believe that a partisan Supreme Court’s efforts to impose what amounts to a “tyranny of the minority” upon the nation as a whole are destined to fail.

Keep reading... Show less

President Joe Biden

The price of gasoline is not Joe Biden's fault, nor did it break records. Adjusted for inflation, it was higher in 2008 when Republican George W. Bush was president. And that wasn't Bush's fault, either.

We don't have to like today's inflation, but that problem, too, is not Biden's doing. Republicans are nonetheless hot to pin the rap on him. Rising prices, mostly tied to oil, have numerous causes. There would be greater supply of oil and gas, they say, if Biden were more open to approving pipelines and more drilling on public land.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}