The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

WASHINGTON (AFP) – President Barack Obama will meet with national security aides Tuesday to discuss the future of U.S. aid to Egypt in the wake of its military-backed government’s fierce crackdown on Islamists.

But the White House insisted that reports it had already cut assistance were wrong, insisting that military and economic grants were merely under review.

The meeting at the White House between Obama and top members of his National Security Council was due to begin shortly, said Josh Earnest, a White House spokesman.

Earnest denied reports that Washington has already made a decision to secretly freeze aid to Egypt’s military rulers.

The comments came after the Daily Beast website said U.S. assistance had been “secretly pulled” by the Obama administration.

Earnest said there had been no final decision on a review of U.S. aid to Egypt launched after the ouster of president Mohamed Morsi, the country’s first democratically elected leader.

“That review that the president ordered in early July has not concluded,” Earnest said.

“Reports to the contrary that suggest that assistance to Egypt has been cut off are not accurate.”

In an increasingly complex game of semantics on $1.3 billion of annual U.S. military aid to Egypt, Earnest insisted that the flow of aid was not a “faucet” that could be turned off and on.

“This is not a faucet in which you just turn the spigot and assistance continues to flow,” Earnest said. “Assistance is provided episodically, assistance is provided in tranches… This is not a matter of turning the dial one way or the other.”

Earlier, an aide to Senator Patrick Leahy, a Democrat who heads the subcommittee on foreign operations, said the flow of aid had been “stopped.”

“This is current practice, not necessarily official policy, and there is no indication of how long it will last,” the aide said.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Police outside Tops Friendly Market in Buffalo, New York, on May 14, 2022

By Steve Gorman and Moira Warburton

(Reuters) -An 18-year-old white gunman shot 10 people to death and wounded three others at a grocery store in a Black neighborhood of Buffalo, New York, before surrendering to authorities, who called it a hate crime and an act of "racially motivated violent extremism."

Keep reading... Show less

Supreme Court

Youtube Screenshot

The right-wing freakout over peaceful protests outside the homes of Supreme Court justices and chalk on the sidewalk in front of Republican senators’ homes, built around the seeming belief that any kind of protest at all is an act of violence, is actually a piece of classic right-wing projection. Conservatives assume that all protests feature intimidation and menace, bellicose threats, and acts of violence, because they themselves know no other way of protesting, as we’ve seen over the past five years and longer—especially on Jan. 6.

So it’s not surprising that the right-wing response to protests over the imminent demise of the Roe v. Wade ruling so far is riddled with white nationalist thugs turning up in the streets, and threats directed at Democratic judges. Ben Makuch at Vice reported this week on how far-right extremists are filling Telegram channels with calls for the assassination of federal judges, accompanied by doxxing information revealing their home addresses.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}