The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Los Angeles (AFP) — Robin Thicke’s blockbuster but much criticized hit “Blurred Lines” grew even more controversial as the singer revealed he never wrote it, according to court documents.

The Hollywood Reporter on Monday printed Thicke’s previously confidential disposition to a Los Angeles court where he volunteered that he had been high on the painkiller Vicodin and alcohol when he recorded the song and that he was not sober during later media interviews.

Thicke, speaking under oath, said that Pharrell Williams — who later released the smash hit “Happy” — had written “Blurred Lines” on which both perform. Thicke said he was envious and lied.

“After making six albums that I wrote and produced myself, the biggest hit of my career was written and produced by somebody else and I was jealous and wanted some of the credit,” he said.

“The record would have happened with or without me. I just was lucky enough to be there when he (Williams) wrote it and I was in the room,” Thicke said, according to the court documents reproduced by The Hollywood Reporter.

“Blurred Lines” was a worldwide hit in 2013 but faced charges it was misogynistic due to its refrain — “I’m gonna take a good girl / I know you want it” — and an accompanying video that prominently featured naked women.

The hearing in April was part of a court process over claims by Marvin Gaye’s children that “Blurred Lines” copied the late legend’s song “Got to Give it Up”. A trial is expected next year.

Thicke earlier said that “Blurred Lines” was inspired by the Motown great. In court, Thicke hinted that racial factors were at play in his earlier comments, saying he had been called the “white Marvin Gaye” and sought to “embellish” the connection.

Despite his frank admissions, Thicke said he was sober during the court appearance. He said his separation two months earlier from his wife, actress Paula Patton, had led him to clean up his lifestyle.

AFP Photo/Charley Gallay

Interested in more national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Youtube Screenshot

Executing a valid search warrant, FBI agents arrived in the morning to search the office. The word "unprecedented" was on everyone's lips. They seized business records, computers and other documents related to possible crimes. An enraged Donald Trump denounced the FBI and the Justice Department, saying not that they had abided by the warrant issued by a federal judge, but rather that agents had "broken into" the office.

The year was 2018, and Trump was livid about the FBI's investigation into his longtime attorney/fixer, Michael Cohen.

Keep reading... Show less

Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

In the days since the FBI executed a search warrant at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, Trump, and his GOP lackeys have trotted out excuse after excuse to explain away the trove of material seized from a storage room at his golf club: A politically motivated witch hunt! The evidence was planted by the FBI! There was nothing important there! Obama did it too! (He didn’t.) And finally, on Friday night:


Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}