The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Marco Rubio, the U.S. Senator from Florida and former presidential candidate, is running for re-election, U.S. Representative David Jolly told CNN on Friday, a move that could help Republicans keep control of the chamber.

“Marco is saying he’s getting in,” said Jolly, a fellow Republican who has been running to fill the seat.

Jolly, who represents the area around St. Petersburg and Clearwater, has said he would step aside if Rubio decided to run for re-election. He told CNN he would make a formal announcement at noon EDT but gave no other details.

Rubio, who ended his presidential bid in March, said this week he was reconsidering running and may decide as early as this weekend.

Representatives for Rubio could not be reached immediately for comment.

Jolly spokesman Preston Rudie later tried to clarify the comment, saying the congressman did not know Rubio‘s plans.

“Congressman Jolly has no actual knowledge of a Rubio decision,” he told Reuters in an email.

Rubio‘s entry into the Senate race would complicate Democrats’ efforts to win back a majority there in the Nov. 8 election.

Republicans won majority control of the Senate in the 2014 elections and now hold 54 seats in the 100-seat chamber. Democrats have 44 seats and two independents are aligned with them.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans have urged Rubio to run despite a pledge during his presidential campaign not to seek re-election, citing polls showing him the only Republican who can win the state.

(Reporting by Kouichi Shirayanagi and Richard Cowan; Editing by Susan Heavey and Jeffrey Benkoe)

U.S. Republican presidential candidate and Senator Marco Rubio laughs while speaking during the Heritage Action for America presidential candidate forum in Greenville, South Carolina on September 18, 2015. REUTERS/Chris Keane

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

President Joe Biden at the Port of Baltimore

Reprinted with permission from TomDispatch

In mid-October, President Biden announced that the Port of Los Angeles would begin operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, joining the nearby Port of Long Beach, which had been doing so since September. The move followed weeks of White House negotiations with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, as well as shippers like UPS and FedEx, and major retailers like Walmart and Target.

Keep reading... Show less

Sean Hannity

Reprinted with permission from Media Matters

President Joe Biden spoke to reporters on Monday, saying that the new omicron variant of COVID-19 was “a cause for concern, not a cause for panic,” and that the public response would be done “not with shutdowns or lockdowns but with more widespread vaccinations, boosters, testing, and more.” Fox News quickly began spreading false claims that Biden was about to impose more lockdowns — in a disinformation campaign that has spread across the network’s purported “straight news” side and even to its financial news channel.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}