The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

DUBAI (Reuters) — Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has called Donald Trump a disgrace to the United States following his call for a ban on Muslims entering the country, and demanded the Republican front-runner withdraw from the U.S. presidential race.

Trump triggered an international uproar when he made his comments in response to last week’s deadly shootings in California by two Muslims who authorities said were radicalized.

“You are a disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America,” Prince Alwaleed, the chairman of Kingdom Holding, said on his Twitter account, addressing Trump and referring to the Republican Party.

“Withdraw from the U.S presidential race as you will never win,” the prince added.

Within hours, Trump’s response came back, also on Twitter.

“Dopey Prince @Alwaleed_Talal wants to control our U.S. politicians with daddy’s money,” he said. “Can’t do it when I get elected.”

Trump’s comments have already cost him business in the Middle East, with a major chain of department stores halting sales of his glitzy “Trump Home” line of lamps, mirrors and jewelry boxes.

On Thursday, Dubai real estate firm Damac, which is building a $6 billion golf complex with Trump, stripped the property of his name and image.

Prince Alwaleed, a nephew of Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, has holdings in a number of international companies, including Twitter and Citigroup. In July he said he will donate $32 billion to charity in coming years via Alwaleed Philanthropies.

(Reporting by Sami Aboudi; Editing by Dominic Evans, Robert Birsel)

Photo: Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is seen leaving the High Court in London in this July 2, 2013 file photograph. REUTERS/Neil Hall/Files

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Chuck Todd

Photo by U.S. National Archives (Public domain)

Reprinted with permission from Press Run

Surveying the media landscape and seeing a Beltway press corps that's constantly on the run from Republican attacks, Meet The Press moderator Chuck Todd this week urged his colleagues to stand up to the right-wing bullies, who have spent decades demonizing journalists.

Keep reading... Show less

Former President Trump takes a phone call in the Oval Office.

Photo by The White House

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Former President Donald Trump was relentless in his efforts to overturn the presidential election. Although he has adamantly insisted that his actions were not an attempt at a coup, there is reportedly evidence indicating that it was. According to The Daily Beast, details have been revealed about Trump's phone call that may have led to the attempted coup at the U.S. Capitol.

Keep reading... Show less
x

Close