The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

At this year’s annual winter meeting of the Republican National Committee, the assembled partisans have focused on rebutting the perception that they are waging a “war on women.”

It is not going well.

Speaking to committee members on Thursday, former Arkansas governor and failed presidential candidate Mike Huckabee made the following attempt to prove that Democrats are the ones with an anti-women agenda:

“I think it’s time Republicans no longer accept listening to the Democrats talk about a ‘war on women,'” Huckabee asserted. “The fact is the Republicans don’t have a war on women, they have a war for women, to empower them to be something other than victims of their gender.”

“If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control, because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it,” Huckabee declared. “Let us take that discussion all across America, because women are far more than the Democrats have played them to be.”

Video of his remarks is below, via NBC News.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Huckabee’s speech immediately drew condemnation from Democrats, including White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, who told reporters on Thursday, “I haven’t seem that report, but whoever said it, it sounds offensive to me, and to women.”

Meanwhile, in news that seems unlikely to help Republicans narrow the gender gap that has plagued them in recent elections, Huckabee is reportedly considering a 2016 presidential run.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Donald Trump and Melania Trump

Youtube Screenshot

In a Monday court filing, the Justice Department asked a federal court not to unseal the affidavit showing probable cause for the warrant to search Mar-a-Lago, giving reasons that underscore the hot water Donald Trump appears to be in.

Disclosing the affidavit now would, according to the filing, “cause significant and irreparable damage to this ongoing criminal investigation.” It would do that by revealing, “among other critically important and detailed investigative facts: highly sensitive information about witnesses, including witnesses interviewed by the government; specific investigative techniques; and information required by law to be kept under seal.”

Keep reading... Show less

Lara Trump

Youtube Screenshot

When Donald Trump revealed last Monday night that the FBI had “raided” his Mar-a-Lago resort and residence, Fox News had an asset on its payroll uniquely positioned to provide its audience with insight: The former president’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, is a Fox contributor. But unfortunately for the network’s viewers, over the past week she's been using her network platform to mislead them.

Members of the Trump orbit, including Lara Trump’s husband, Eric, deployed to Fox last week offering the expected furious defenses of the former president and denunciations of the FBI’s probe. But if there’s any value whatsoever in putting a former president’s relative on staff, surely it is in the aftermath of such an event, when she might have both rare access to credible information and a willingness to reveal it.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}