Republicans Warn That Opposing Racism Is A ‘Communist’ Plot
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) claimed on Tuesday that advocating for dismantling systemic racism is propaganda in service to the Communist Party of China.
On Tuesday afternoon, White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan wrote, "On the anniversary of George Floyd's murder, we reflect on the fact that dismantling systemic racism is also a national security priority. The fight for racial justice at home and abroad is foundational to our future & to how the world sees us."
"This tweet is approved by the Communist Party of China," Cotton tweeted in response just minutes later.
Republicans in Congress largely ignored the anniversary of George Floyd's murder. But they have been more vocal about the supposed communist threat of anti-racist policy and education.
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) on Wednesday argued that "social justice" is "often code for social Marxism." Rep. Matt Gaetz said just days ago that "the real threat to our nation is the Marxism and Critical Race Theory that they [the Biden administration] embraces." And Rep. Mo Brooks wrote earlier in May that "Marxism stokes division by fanning the flames of class, race, and gender resentment."
Cotton has repeatedly lashed out at efforts to address systemic racism in America.
In February, he characterized efforts by the Biden administration to address racism as "anti-American" and racist itself.
A month later, Cotton said that acknowledging the existence of racial bias in the country was "slander" against America.
Other Republicans have similarly attacked the concept of systemic racism.
Thirty Republicans in the House banded together this month to push legislation that would prevent the government from addressing racism. Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL), has argued that "systemic socialism" is more of a "real" problem than racism.
International rivals of the United States have tried to exploit the racial animosity in the country to their own advantage. Citing campaigns by the Russian and Chinese governments to highlight and exploit America's racial divisions, the Center for a Just Security recently noted, "America's competitors view its social division, history of racism, and domestic anti-democratic movements as a vulnerability for the country."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Everything Republicans Oppose, They Now Call 'Socialist' - National ... ›
- How Reporters' Bias Is Helping Republicans - National Memo ›
- Senate Confirms Vanita Gupta To Civil Rights Post Despite GOP ... ›
- Why McCarthy Is Suddenly Worried Over (Anti-Semitic) Hate Crimes ... ›
- Trump's Mythical Migrant 'Caravan' Is Heading Our Way Again ... ›
- Cartoon: Tom Cotton's Diplomacy - National Memo ›
- Why America’s Cultural Education Needs A Truth Upgrade - National Memo ›
- Don’t Blame Bail Reform For Spike In Violent Crime - National Memo ›
- ‘Critical Race Theory’ Was Weaponized Against Obama In 2012 — And Flopped - National Memo ›
- Pompeo Should Stop Lying About America's Founding - National Memo ›
- Mo Brooks Pays $25K To Trump Resort After Former Guy Endorses Senate Bid - National Memo ›
- Texas Governor Doesn’t Want King’s ‘I Have A Dream’ Speech Taught In Public Schools - National Memo ›
- Republicans Encouraged Racist Assault On St. Louis Health Official - National Memo ›
- Murder Rate Rose In Republican Cities, Too - National Memo ›
- Trump's Mob: Gullible, Conspiracy-Minded, And Willfully Ignorant Of History - National Memo ›
- There’s Only One Path Toward Climate Survival — And This Is It - National Memo ›
- Tom Cotton belongs in 'ash heap of history' - Global Times ›
- Tom Cotton says calls to end racism are Chinese propaganda ›
- Tom Cotton's Anti-Protest Bill is Racist and Unconstitutional | ACLU ... ›
- GOP Sen. Tom Cotton Compares Protesters in Portland to ... ›
- Merrick Garland hearing: Tom Cotton demands to know if he ... ›
- Tom Cotton's Argument Against DC Statehood Is the Same One ... ›
- US Senator Tom Cotton defends slavery remarks - BBC News ›
- Sen. Tom Cotton suggested Chinese STEM students head home ... ›
- Tom Cotton sees Chinese propaganda in the strangest places ›