Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
Already trying to peel away voting rights in the state, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is also pushing a bill that would practically remove women and people of color from a portion of required social studies curriculum. Senate Bill 3 would no longer require teachers to teach civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream," the Emancipation Proclamation, and women's suffrage; What's worse the Senate in a 18-4 vote along party lines on Friday passed the governor's racist political vendetta branded as a ban on critical race theory.
The list of social studies elements stripped from required teachings includes "Native American history, work by civil rights activists Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta, historical documents related to the Chicano movement and women's suffrage, and writings by Martin Luther King Jr., Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass," according to The Texas Tribune.
Texas Senate Committee advances Critical Race Theory Bill | KVUE www.youtube.com
Sen. Bryan Hughes, author of the bill, wrote in its text that a teacher or other school district employee may not "require or make part of a course inculcation" any concept that holds one race or sex superior to another, define a "hard work ethic" as racist or sexist, or assigns moral character with a particular race or sex. The bill would also prevent teachers and school employees from teaching that: "the advent of slavery in the territory that is now the United States constituted the true founding of the United States; or (...) with respect to their relationship to American values, slavery and racism are anything other than deviations from, betrayals of, or failures to live up to the authentic founding principles of the United States, which include liberty and equality..."
The Senate bill follows earlier House legislation that similarly banned instruction that holds one race or sex superior to another or defines a "hard work ethic" as racist or sexist, or assigns moral character with a particular race or sex, and Abbott signed the bill into law during the regular legislative session. That legislation, however, added the requirement that diverse literature on race be included in school instruction. Abbott wants to change the law back to a version that doesn't include the diverse literature requirement, KVUE reported.
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick released the following statement obtained Friday by ABC-affiliated KVUE:
"Texans roundly reject 'woke' philosophies that espouse that one race or sex is better than another and that someone, by virtue of their race or sex, is innately racist, oppressive or sexist.
"Senate Bill 3 will make certain that critical race philosophies, including the debunked 1619 founding myth, are removed from our school curriculums statewide. Texas parents do not want their children to be taught these false ideas. Parents want their students to learn how to think critically, not be indoctrinated by the ridiculous leftist narrative that America and our Constitution are rooted in racism.
"Final passage of this bill into law will require the House Democrats who have fled the state to return to the House for a quorum. If they do not, this bill will die, but the Senate will pass Senate Bill 3 over and over again until the House finally has a quorum. I am grateful for Sen. Hughes' leadership on this important issue."
Hughes said in debate The Texas Tribune covered on the chamber floor that the Senate bill counteracts the "pernicious, wrong, harmful" effects of critical race theory. The race theory, however, is not taught in Texas schools and has been defined by scholars as a framework that suggests the U.S. legal system and laws that govern this nation are rooted in race and racism.
"When a fire starts in the kitchen, we don't wait for it to spread to the living room and bathroom, but we start to put it out," the Republican said. Democratic Sen. Juan Hinojosa countered with: "I don't see a fire in the kitchen."
- Texas Governor's 'Patriotic Education' Law Puts Propaganda Over ... ›
- 'Critical Race Theory' Was Weaponized Against Obama In 2012 ... ›
- Republicans Warn That Opposing Racism Is A 'Communist' Plot ... ›
- Texas Democrats Leave State To Thwart Passage Of Voter ... ›
- Pompeo Should Stop Lying About America's Founding - National ... ›
- Poll: Fox's Carlson Driving Republican Racial Agenda - National ... ›
- On Fox News, 'Concerned Parents' Are Actually GOP Activists ... ›
- GOP Bill Whitewashes History, Requires Students To Memorize ‘Patriotic’ Texts - National Memo ›
- Trump's Mob: Gullible, Conspiracy-Minded, And Willfully Ignorant Of History - National Memo ›
- In Texas And Beyond, Right Wing Brings Culture Wars To Classrooms - National Memo ›
- Texas Senate approves bill limiting how race, racism can be taught ›
- Texas AFT :May 24, 2021: Bill limiting free speech in classrooms ... ›
- Texas students must learn “informed American patriotism” in bill ... ›
- Greg Abbott, who runs the most bigoted governorship in America ... ›
- Texas Gov. Abbott signs anti-critical race theory bill | TheHill ›
- Texas lawmakers file new “critical race theory” bills for special ... ›