Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Former President Donald Trump's executive order requiring the U.S. Secret Service to continue guarding his children and key members within his administration comes with a hefty price tag: $1.7 million, according to the Washington Post.
Post-presidential Secret Service protection is typically reserved for former presidents, first ladies, and their children up to the age of 16. However, Trump has gone a step further expanding that privilege to his adult children, their spouses, and some former members of his administration including former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and former national security adviser Robert O'Brien. Their Secret Service detail was set to last for the entire first six months out of office.
The publication reports that Secret Service accumulated the seven-figure bill tailing the former president's ultra-wealthy adult children. Agents accompanied them to "ski vacations, weekend houses, a resort in Cabo San Lucas, and business trips abroad," the Post noted.
"Who wouldn't enjoy continuing their free limo service and easy access to restaurant tables?" asked Jim Helminski, a former Secret Service executive. "Even if there was a credible risk to family and associates of Trump, these people are now private citizens who can afford to hire ... private security firms for their personal protection," he told the Post.
Out of all the expenses, it is being reported that Mnuchin racked up the most. Citing government spending records, the Post reported the highest expenses came from Mnuchin's trips to Israel and Los Angeles. A total of $52,000 was spent to trail Mnuchin to Israel while another six figure bill was accumulated when he traveled to Los Angeles.
The publication reports: "Mnuchin's total Secret Service tab hit $479,000, and included $114,000 for rooms at a W Hotel in Los Angeles."
Although Mnuchin claims he never asked for protection, he also had the option to turn the Service down; something he did not do.
- "Ivanka's Choice": A Morality Play In One Act - National Memo ›
- Trump Campaign Won't Repay $2 Million Owed To Struggling Cities ... ›
- Taxpayers Paid Thousands For Eric Trump's Trips To Scotland ... ›
- Taxpayers Still Paying for Steven Mnuchin's Travel Perks: Daily Beast ›
- Steve Mnuchin opposing Secret Service presidential-travel cost ... ›
- Mnuchin seeks to delay Democratic efforts to release Trump's secret ... ›
- Trump hotel charged Secret Service $33K to guard Mnuchin: report ... ›
- Steven Mnuchin Refuses to Admit How Much the Secret Service ... ›
- Trump gave six months extra Secret Service protection to his kids ... ›
- Trump gave extra Secret Service protection to Mnuchin and others ... ›