The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Kurtis Lee, Los Angeles Times (TNS)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Donald Trump brushed aside concerns Sunday about a recruitment video released by an al-Qaida affiliate in Africa that showed the Republican presidential front-runner’s call to close U.S. borders to Muslims.

The video, purportedly released by the Somali militant group al-Shabaab, shows Trump at a news conference last month calling for a “complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.” Using that as partial evidence, the video argues that the United States is an enemy of Islam and that Muslims should join al-Shabaab’s fight.

On Sunday, Trump said he was not bothered that the video used his image.

“They use other people too,” Trump said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “What am I going to do? I have to say what I have to say. … There’s a problem. We have to find out what is a problem. And we have to solve that problem.”

Trump called for the temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States after attacks by radical Islamists in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif. Most other presidential candidates have denounced his proposal, noting that America’s Muslim allies are crucial to the fight against the militant group Islamic State.

Al-Shabaab has long aligned itself with al-Qaida, but a breakaway faction recently pledged allegiance to Islamic State.

Two weeks ago, Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton said during a Democratic candidates’ debate that Islamic State had used Trump’s criticism of Muslims in recruiting videos. Trump demanded an apology, insisting that her claim was untrue.

The fact-checking website PolitiFact sided with Trump, saying there was no evidence to support Clinton’s claim.

(c)2016 Los Angeles Times. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks to supporters at the Westin Hilton Head Island Resort and Spa in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, December 30, 2015. REUTERS/Randall Hill

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Rep. Ted Budd, left, and Cheri Beasley

On Tuesday, North Carolina Republicans selected Rep. Ted Budd (R-NC), a far-right extremist who has pushed false claims about the 2020 election, to be their Senate nominee. He will face Democratic nominee Cheri Beasley, a former chief justice of the state's Supreme Court.

As of Wednesday morning, Budd had received more than 58 percent of the GOP primary vote. Former Gov. Pat McCrory received just below 25 percent of the vote, while former Rep. Mark Walker received about nine percent of the vote.

Keep reading... Show less

Stephen Colbert

It seems we can't go even a week in America without some deranged white nationalist shooter taking the lives of decent people. Of course, this type of violence is propagated on a daily basis by the far-right sh*tweasals at Fox News and, worse yet, in the ranks of the Republican Party.

After returning to the Late Show helm, Stephen Colbert weighed in on the real culprit behind the mass shootings -- the Replacement Theory popularized by Tucker Carlson.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}