The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Carol Rosenberg, The Miami Herald

MIAMI — The Defense Department has released its 3-month-old Guantanamo forced-feeding protocol, a 24-page how-to document that rhetorically recasts the yearlong hunger strike in the remote prison camps as “long term non-religious fasting.”

The release blacks out the portions of the document that define how much weight loss and how many missed meals qualifies a hunger-striking captive for the prison’s twice-daily tube feedings.

Some prison spokesmen had argued that the captives were manipulating their weight loss to qualify as hunger strikers — and to focus attention on their indefinite detention at the prison, where about half of the 155 prisoners are approved for release if the Obama administration reaches resettlement or repatriation agreements for them.

It does, however, appear to include a medical calculus for how much to force-feed a morbidly obese hunger striker.

It also includes this instruction: “If the RN (nurse) or HM (medic) feels they are in any danger of personal harm during an enteral feed, they are to withdraw from the situation and immediately inform the guards of their concerns.”

The document — dated Dec. 16, 2013 — describes the health challenge that caused the military to send in additional medics last year as “weight loss,” and calls forced-feedings “involuntary enteral feedings.” With the reinforcements still there, the prison now has a nearly 1-to-1 ratio of U.S. Navy medical staff to captives.

Asked via email Tuesday how many of the 155 captives are considered to be “non-religious fasters” and how many are receiving “enteral feedings,” spokesman Cmdr. John Filostrat replied, “Our policy at JTF-GTMO (Joint Task Force-Guantanamo) is to not publicly issue the number of detainees who choose not to eat as a matter of protest.”

More than 100 prisoners were on hunger strike over the summer, with the prison handling an all-time high of 46 captives getting tube feedings in July, a time when the military issued daily figures.

Participation dropped to as low as 11 in mid-November and was at 15 on Dec. 2 by the military’s own count when the prison stopped its nine-month practice of daily transparency and imposed a blackout on disclosures. It then drew up the new procedures that dropped the term “hunger strike” used in its earlier ” Standard Operating Procedures.”

At the U.S. Southern Command in Doral, Fla., the Pentagon outpost with oversight of the prison, Marine Gen. John Kelly had derided the protest as “hunger strike lite,” and openly differed with President Barack Obama’s description of his troops as “force-feeding” prisoners.

The new terminology more closely aligns with the general’s language of choice on the long-running protest by an undisclosed number of captives receiving prison-mandated tube feedings.

AFP Photo/Chantal Valery

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

REP. ZOE LOFGREN

YouTube Screenshot

On Tuesday, the House Select Committee hearing featured testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson, former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’ aide. It was damning. Hutchinson went on the record reiterating what she had told investigators previously, detailing the many things she saw and heard before and during January 6, 2021. Her testimony touched on Trump’s insistence that he join the riot at the Capitol, his knowledge of armed MAGA audience members, the bizarre disappearing act Meadows performed, and the fact that leading up to the “Stop the Steal” rally, Trump’s own lawyer knew that crimes were most likely being committed.

One of the more explosive moments in Hutchinson’s testimony concerned her recounting of what Trump’s former lead Secret Service agent turned political adviser Anthony Ornato told her about Donald Trump’s actions, alleging he attacked his chief security official, Robert “Bobby” Engel, when Engel would not allow him to lead the rioters at the Capitol grounds. This reportedly took place after Trump left the Stop of Steal rally on January 6, 2021.

Keep reading... Show less

Wayne Willott

YouTube Screenshot

Wayne Willott, a QAnon influencer known online as “Juan O. Savin” who is recruiting and supporting candidates for election-administration positions around the country, warned of “civil war” if people try to “move past” the 2020 presidential election.

Savin is part of a coalition led by Jim Marchant, which aims to recruit and elect secretary of state candidates who have pushed false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}