The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Carol J. Williams, Los Angeles Times

Ukraine’s new defense minister said Tuesday that peace talks will occur only after the pro-Russia rebels holed up in the eastern cities of Donetsk and Luhansk completely disarm.

“There will be no more unilateral cease-fire,” Defense Minister Valery Heletey said in a statement posted on the ministry website, reflecting the emboldened posture of Ukraine’s military since its troops managed to recover a handful of important rebel strongholds in recent days.

While a fierce showdown appeared in the offing, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said his troops would refrain from using heavy artillery or airstrikes in Donetsk, a city of 1 million residents where the gunmen fighting to join Russia occupy the 10-story regional government headquarters and other buildings in the city center.

Since government forces succeeded in recent days to drive the militants from Slovyansk, Kramatorsk, and other towns in the Donetsk region that they held for three months, many of the gunmen have fled to central Donetsk to regroup and collaborate with the putative rebel government. Alexander Borodai, one of the self-styled leaders of the proclaimed People’s Republic of Donetsk, told Russian media during a visit to Moscow on Tuesday that the separatists were not taking refuge in Donetsk but, rather, planning a counteroffensive.

“We’re not preparing ourselves for a siege. We are preparing ourselves for action,” Borodai was quoted as saying by the online newspaper Gazeta.ru.

Igor Strelkov, the Russian special forces veteran who commanded the separatist operations in Slovyansk, cast the rebels’ retreat over the weekend as a strategic move to spare the civilian population from further hazard. Dozens of fighters as well as civilians were killed around the city in the heavy artillery exchanges between rebels and government forces.

“The (Ukrainian) National Guard are getting revenge for their numerous losses on the locals,” Strelkov was quoted as saying by Russian website LifeNews and by state-controlled Russia Today television.

Although Strelkov and other Russian mercenaries have made no secret of their involvement in the fighting in eastern Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin has steadfastly denied Kiev’s accusations that Russia is supporting the separatist rebellion that has left nearly 500 dead since April.

Poroshenko, who has been in office a month, had proclaimed a unilateral cease-fire on June 20 but ended it last week, saying that rebel forces had violated the truce more than 100 times. At least 47 Ukrainian troops died in attacks during the 10 days that the government claimed to be halting its offensive, although the separatists accused the Kiev forces of also violating the cease-fire.

As rebels retreated from the towns recovered by government forces over the past four days, bridges and other transportation infrastructure have been destroyed on the routes into Donetsk, presumably to frustrate the advance of government troops. On Tuesday, a blast damaged a railroad line near Horlivka, between Slovyansk and Donetsk, the online Ukrainian news site Ostrov reported.

AFP Photo / Anatoliy Stepanov

Interested in world news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Tyler Matzek

So the World Series has come around again, evoking the usual mixed feelings. For one thing, I don't have a team this year, although I'll be pulling for Atlanta in honor of my friend Lauren, a serious Braves fan I pretty much talked into baseball when she was my student. As a sometime athlete and a serious reader with a taste for complex narratives, she was a natural.

Also, the Houston Astros cheated. Bigtime. Cunning and crude, the team's 2017 electronic sign-stealing, trashcan-banging scheme tipping hitters to incoming pitches could have been designed by Vladimir Putin. It wouldn't have bothered me if several Astros had been banished from baseball like Pete Rose, whose compulsive gambling hurt mainly himself.

Keep reading... Show less

Mark Meadows

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Legal experts including a Harvard professor and a top election and voting rights attorney are weighing in on Sunday night's bombshell report from Rolling Stone naming members of Congress and the Trump administration who were involved in the planning and organizing of the January 6 rally and/or "Trump's efforts to overturn his election loss," according to two of the planners of the "Stop the Steal" rally.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}