The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

CARACAS, Venezuela — Five Venezuelan intelligence agents have been arrested and charged in the deaths of two people on Feb. 12, when the ongoing wave of protests against the government started, the attorney general’s office said Wednesday.

The five were charged with premeditated homicide, unlawful use of an official weapon and obstruction of justice and other counts in the deaths of Bassil Da Costa and Juan Montoya, who were shot after an opposition protest turned violent, the attorney general’s office said.

Three people died and 66 were injured in the Feb. 12 rally, sparking protests that continue against the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

The five men, who were arrested Monday, are to remain in custody at the headquarters of Sebin, Venezuela’s intelligence agency, the attorney general’s office said. Two other Sebin agents are under arrest for weapons violations in connection with the deaths and are expected to face similar homicide charges.

Maduro said last week that Sebin agents had disobeyed orders to remain at their headquarters during the protest, instead going armed into the streets. Sebin director Manuel Bernal was sacked on Feb. 18.

At least 13 people have died since Feb. 12 in the protests in Venezuela.

The Venezuelan government accuses the opposition of attempting a coup d’etat to topple Maduro, the hand-picked successor to left-wing populist Hugo Chavez, who died in office in March 2013. Maduro narrowly won a presidential election in April.

Opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez was arrested Feb. 18 as the leader of the alleged revolt. The opposition has denounced disproportionate use of force against the protests and attacks on demonstrators by armed government supporters.

AFP Photo/Leo Ramirez 

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Pat McCrory

Youtube Screenshot

If former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory is any indication, the GOP primary wounds wrought in the last several months stand a good chance of bleeding into the general election this fall.

McCrory, who lost his bid Tuesday to become the Republican nominee for the Tar Heel State's open Senate seat, declined to endorse his GOP rival, Rep. Ted Budd, the Trump endorsee.

Keep reading... Show less

Dr. Mehmet Oz

Youtube Screenshot

Senate candidate Mehmet Oz thanked Fox News host Sean Hannity for advising him “behind the scenes,” helping to bring him to the cusp of a potential victory in Tuesday night’s primary in Pennsylvania — a revelation that further illustrates Hannity’s position as a Republican operative who leverages his media presence for political influence.

The Republican primary race could potentially go to a recount, with Oz currently ahead of former hedge fund manager Dave McCormick by a slender margin. The winner will face Democratic nominee Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who won his primary by a landslide. During a speech on Tuesday night, Oz first thanked his wife, his children, and his campaign staff and then called out two key political figures who endorsed him and advised him throughout the campaign: former President Donald Trump and Hannity.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}