The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

The White House is reiterating its intention to let the Bush tax cuts for the richest Americans expire as scheduled, setting up another summer battle with Congressional Republicans.

On Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters that “President Obama has been clear about his position and it has not changed. We should not extend and he will not extend the … Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest two percent of the American people.”

Along the same lines, White House National Economic Council director Gene Sperling told the Economic Club of New York that the Obama administration is only open to a “grand comprimise” to reduce the national debt if it is “balanced” to include tax revenues along with spending cuts.

The tax cuts are due to expire at the end of this year, raising taxes on households that earn over $250,000 a year from the current 35 percent rate to the pre-Bush rate of 39.6 percent. Republicans such as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell claim that the 4 percent rise would cripple the economy, and House Republicans plan to hold a vote on extending the cuts before Congress goes on recess in August.

“It’s pretty obvious that the economy needs the certainty of the extension of the current tax rates for at least a year,” McConnell told Reuters.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, while allowing the tax cuts to expire could hurt the economy, it would be preferable to the “much bleaker” alternative of extending the current tax cuts and spending rates.

If the battle over the tax cuts escalates, President Obama is well positioned politically. According to an April New York Times/CBS poll, 56 percent preferred increasing spending and raising taxes on the wealthy compared to just 37 percent who favored cutting taxes and spending. Furthermore, 57 percent said that upper middle income people pay “less than their fair share” in taxes.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

From left Ethan Crumbley and his parents Jennifer and James Crumbley

Mug shot photos from Oakland County via Dallas Express

After the 2012 massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, then-Rep. Mike Rogers, a Michigan Republican, evaded calls for banning weapons of war. But he had other ideas. The "more realistic discussion," Rogers said, is "how do we target people with mental illness who use firearms?"

Tightening the gun laws would seem a lot easier and less intrusive than psychoanalyzing everyone with access to a weapon. But to address Rogers' point following the recent mass murder at a suburban Detroit high school, the question might be, "How do we with target the adults who hand powerful firearms to children with mental illness?"

Keep reading... Show less

Gen. Charles Flynn

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

A former D.C. National Guard official blasted the Pentagon inspector general’s report on the military’s response to the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol and directly accused two top generals of lying about their role in the delays deploying the National Guard that day. Previously, the former commander of the D.C. National Guard—who now serves as the House sergeant-at-arms—had called for the retraction of the same inspector general’s report.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}