The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Anthony David, dpa

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Rescuers were searching for more than 300 people missing after a landslide in central Sri Lanka Wednesday left at least 14 villagers dead, an official said.

The landslide occurred in the Meeriyabedda area in Koslanda, 200 kilometres east of the capital, which has been vulnerable to landslides for several years, said Sarath Lal Kumara, a spokesman for the Disaster Management Centre (DMC).

“The area where the landslide has been reported was mostly occupied by tea estate laborers. It is most of them who have been reported missing,” he said.

As the search operations continued, more villages in the surrounding areas were being evacuated.

Residents and aid workers said by phone that the devastation was widespread amidst fears that the death toll could be high.

“The houses, temples and shops which existed previously cannot be seen any more. It is very difficult to think any of them survived,” said Ragunathan Sundaram, an estate employee.

Major Genral Mano Perera said that around 500 soldiers have been sent to take part in a search and rescue operation, but rain and more landslides in the area were hampering efforts.

The military in a statement said that: “It is believed about 150 houses, lying in seven rows, have been completely destroyed in the landslides.”

Troops with the help of other agencies have already moved groups of displaced people into two common halls in the Koslanda area, the statement said.

Army machinery, bulldozers and mechanical differs have been put into the search operation.

The landslide occurred around 7:30 am (0200 GMT) following heavy rains overnight.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa directed the Defence Ministry and the Ministry of Disaster Management to send additional relief teams to assist the affected.

AFP Photo/Ishara Kodikara

Interested in more world news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

REP. ZOE LOFGREN

YouTube Screenshot

On Tuesday, the House Select Committee hearing featured testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson, former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’ aide. It was damning. Hutchinson went on the record reiterating what she had told investigators previously, detailing the many things she saw and heard before and during January 6, 2021. Her testimony touched on Trump’s insistence that he join the riot at the Capitol, his knowledge of armed MAGA audience members, the bizarre disappearing act Meadows performed, and the fact that leading up to the “Stop the Steal” rally, Trump’s own lawyer knew that crimes were most likely being committed.

One of the more explosive moments in Hutchinson’s testimony concerned her recounting of what Trump’s former lead Secret Service agent turned political adviser Anthony Ornato told her about Donald Trump’s actions, alleging he attacked his chief security official, Robert “Bobby” Engel, when Engel would not allow him to lead the rioters at the Capitol grounds. This reportedly took place after Trump left the Stop of Steal rally on January 6, 2021.

Keep reading... Show less

Wayne Willott

YouTube Screenshot

Wayne Willott, a QAnon influencer known online as “Juan O. Savin” who is recruiting and supporting candidates for election-administration positions around the country, warned of “civil war” if people try to “move past” the 2020 presidential election.

Savin is part of a coalition led by Jim Marchant, which aims to recruit and elect secretary of state candidates who have pushed false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}