The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

An armed guard hired to protect a Michigan school in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting committed a “breach in security protocol” when he accidentally left his gun in a student restroom.

Clark Arnold, a retired Lapeer County Sheriff’s Department firearms instructor, was hired last week in reaction to the Newtown shooting.

“It’s a tremendous asset to the safety of our students,” Chatfield School co-director Matt Young told WNEM after the hiring. By adding an armed guard, the school was following the NRA’s prescription for stopping school shootings — and accidentally revealed a fatal flaw in the “more guns!” argument.

Just a week into his tenure at the job, Young admitted to the Flint Journal that Arnold left an unloaded weapon in a restroom “for a few moments.”

“The school has put additional security procedures in place that follow local law enforcement practices and guidelines,” Young said in a statement. “At no time was any student involved in this breach of protocol. We will continue to work on improving school security.”

Young insisted that no children were exposed to the handgun, and declined to comment further on the incident.

Tris Fritz, a parent with children in third and fifth grade at the school, told the Journal that Arnold’s error was “kind of a big mistake.”

“I think that some kid might not think it’s a real gun. They might think it’s a toy. They’re going to be curious, that’s the nature of a child,” he said.

“I know people are human and they make mistakes,” Fritz added. “That’s kind of a big mistake.”

Lapeer County Prosecutor Byron Konschuh is declining to prosecute Arnold over the incident, as nobody was hurt. “It’s almost like no harm, no foul,” Konschuh said.

Hat-tip: The Raw Story

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

President Joe Biden at the Port of Baltimore

Reprinted with permission from TomDispatch

In mid-October, President Biden announced that the Port of Los Angeles would begin operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, joining the nearby Port of Long Beach, which had been doing so since September. The move followed weeks of White House negotiations with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, as well as shippers like UPS and FedEx, and major retailers like Walmart and Target.

Keep reading... Show less

Sean Hannity

Reprinted with permission from Media Matters

President Joe Biden spoke to reporters on Monday, saying that the new omicron variant of COVID-19 was “a cause for concern, not a cause for panic,” and that the public response would be done “not with shutdowns or lockdowns but with more widespread vaccinations, boosters, testing, and more.” Fox News quickly began spreading false claims that Biden was about to impose more lockdowns — in a disinformation campaign that has spread across the network’s purported “straight news” side and even to its financial news channel.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}