WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden on Friday fired Social Security Commissioner Andrew Saul, a holdover from the Trump administration, but Saul told the Washington Post that he plans to be at work on Monday morning because his term isn't over. "Andrew Saul refused to resign as requested, and he was notified his employment as Commissioner was terminated immediately," said a White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity. The official said Saul had taken "actions that run contrary to the mission of the agency and the President's policy agenda." Saul, who in 2019 was sworn...
Start your day with National Memo Newsletter
The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning
Jeff Danziger lives in New York City. He is represented by CWS Syndicate and the Washington Post Writers Group. He is the recipient of the Herblock Prize and the Thomas Nast (Landau) Prize. He served in the US Army in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Air Medal. He has published eleven books of cartoons and one novel. Visit him at DanzigerCartoons.
- As Prophecies Fail, Monetizing The Gullible Is Still QAnon's True ... ›
- The Trump Republicans And The Fuhrerprinzip - National Memo ›
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
With the Delta variant of the COVID-19 coronavirus surging in the United States — especially in red states with large numbers of unvaccinated Americans — Capitol physician Brian Monahan is reinstituting a mask mandate for the U.S. House of Representatives. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is honoring that mandate, but House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, pandering to the GOP's MAGA base, is opposed. And when Speaker Nancy Pelosi was asked about McCarthy's opposition, she had some scathing words for the California congressman.
In Washington, D.C. on July 28, reporters asked Pelosi about the mask requirement as she was getting ready to enter an SUV. Pelosi told reporters, "That's the purview of the Capitol physician.... the mandate from him. I have nothing to say about that except we honor it."
NBC News reporter Frank Thorp told Pelosi, "Leader McCarthy says it's against the science" — and before getting into the vehicle, a frustrated Pelosi responded, "He's such a moron."
On July 27, McCarthy had tweeted, "Make no mistake — The threat of bringing masks back is not a decision based on science, but a decision conjured up by liberal government officials who want to continue to live in a perpetual pandemic state."
- McCarthy Selects Five Republicans For Jan. 6 Panel (Including Gym ... ›
- McCarthy Skirted Ethics Rules To Rent Pollster's Luxury Pad ... ›
- McCarthy Decries 'Partisan' Jan. 6 Committee — Which Is Exactly ... ›
- Cheney: McCarthy Should Testify About Jan. 6, Under Subpoena If ... ›
- McCarthy Facing GOP Backlash Over Cheney Ouster - National Memo ›
- Announcing Cheney Ouster, McCarthy Insists GOP Is 'A Big Tent ... ›
- Yes, There Is A Conspiracy - National Memo ›
- Pelosi calls GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy a "moron" for criticizing ... ›
- House Republicans refuse to follow new mask mandate, leading ... ›
- Pelosi's office calls McCarthy 'moronic' for opposing new mask ... ›
- WATCH: Pelosi Says McCarthy 'Such a Moron' Over Criticism of ... ›
- Why Nancy Pelosi apparently thinks Kevin McCarthy is 'a moron' ›
- Pelosi: McCarthy a 'moron' for opposing mask mandate | TheHill ›
- 'Such a moron': Pelosi heaps disdain on McCarthy for criticizing ... ›
- Pelosi calls McCarthy 'a moron' for his mask mandate criticism ... ›