The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Reprinted with permission from The Texas Tribune

All signs indicate Beto O’Rourke will run for president in 2020.

But the former congressman remained coy on Saturday during a question-and-answer session at the SXSW Film Festival, where he dodged an inquiry as to whether he would soon join an already crowded Democratic field.

Still, it would seem the former congressman is set to make an announcement sooner rather than later.

During a two-hour screening of a documentary titled Running with Beto that chronicles O’Rourke’s failed U.S. Senate bid, his camp sent an email to supporters inviting them to be the “first to hear Beto’s big announcement.”

“There’s been an outpouring of speculation, excitement, and support from people across the country — everyone eagerly waiting for the news,” the email said. “Many of us are crossing our fingers and hoping that Beto has decided to run.”

It continued: “And now I’m ready for us to bring our movement to the rest of the country. It’s the exact kind of campaign that America needs right now, and it’s why so many of us are hoping that Beto has decided to launch a campaign for President of the United States.”

O’Rourke’s name was thrown in the ring as a potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate after his closer-than-expected loss last year to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX). At a separate, post-screening question-and-answer session with reporters the former congressman said that he wanted to make sure the announcement regarding his 2020 plans was done “the right way.”

He said he wanted to be sure “I tell everyone at the same time, adding that “I’ve got to be on the timeline that works for my family and for the country so that’s the timeline we’re on.”

The Texas Tribune is a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues.

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Reprinted with permission from Media Matters

After the Anti-Defamation League again called for Fox News host Tucker Carlson's firing due to his promotion of the white nationalist "great replacement" conspiracy theory, Carlson's first response was to tell a podcast interviewer, "Fuck them." His second was to use his prime-time show to blame a Jew for the resettlement of Afghan refugees in "your" neighborhood, echoing the apparent motivation of the alleged perpetrator of the 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue massacre.

Keep reading... Show less

Dominic Pezzola, center rear with grey beard, confronts Capitol Police officer outside U.S. Senate Chambers.

Photo from U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

The next time that right-wing gaslighters—whether Tucker Carlson or other far-right pundits, or Republican congressmen—try to valorize the insurrectionists who attacked the U.S. Capitol on January 6 by depicting them as harmless protesters, it might be helpful for everyone to review the case of Proud Boy Dominic Pezzola, charged with conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, assault, and multiple other felonies.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}