Capitol Police Officers Sue Trump Over Jan. 6 ‘Acts Of Terrorism’
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Donald Trump is being sued by a group of seven Capitol Police officers for his role in the January 6 insurrection in what is being called the "most expansive civil effort to date" to hold the former president and his associates and allies accountable.
The lawsuit accuses Trump "and nearly 20 members of far-right extremist groups and political organizations of a plot to disrupt the peaceful transition of power during the Capitol riot on January 6," and implicates "members of the Proud Boys, the Oath Keepers militia and Trump associates like Roger J. Stone Jr.," The New York Times reports.
Five of the seven officers are Black, the Times notes, reporting that the lawsuit "contends that Mr. Trump and his co-defendants violated the Ku Klux Klan Act, an 1871 statute that includes protections against violent conspiracies that interfere with Congress's constitutional duties. It also accuses the defendants of committing 'bias-motivated acts of terrorism' in violation of District of Columbia law."
The Times also calls it the first lawsuit "to allege that Mr. Trump worked in concert with both far-right extremists and political organizers promoting his baseless lies that the presidential election was marred by fraud."
Read the entire report here.
- Trump Gang Encouraged White Supremacists To Join Jan. 6 Action ... ›
- LISTEN: Capitol Police Hero Receives Vile Trumpist Death Threats ... ›
- Capitol Police Officers Blast GOP Leaders For Opposing Jan. 6 ... ›
- Officer's Family Sues Riot Suspect Over Assault That Preceded ... ›
- Federal Judge Warns Trump May Be Held Liable For January 6 ... ›
- Have Trump Republicans Lost Control Of Their Paramilitary Thugs? ›
- FBI Warrant Reveals Jan. 6 ‘Seditious Conspiracy’ Probe Of Oath Keepers ›
- Seven US Capitol Police officers sue former President Trump, Stop ... ›
- Capitol Police officers sue Trump, Roger Stone, Proud Boys over ... ›
- Capitol Police officers sue Trump, allies over insurrection ›
- Seven Capitol police officers sued Trump over injuries from Jan. 6 ... ›
- Capitol Police sue Donald Trump, Roger Stone and far-right extremists ›
- Seven U.S. Capitol police sue Trump, say he incited deadly attack ... ›