Devastating Internal Polls Leave Trump Raging At Campaign Manager
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
President Donald Trump was in a "particularly foul mood" last week after his re-election campaign manager Brad Parscale showed him internal polling revealing he is losing to his Democratic opponent, former Vice President Joe Biden, in key swing states. New state and nationwide polls released over the past day confirm Biden is currently beating Trump, by as much as ten points in some polls.
Trump, Josh Dawsey of The Washington Postreports, "berated," "used profanities," and even threatened to sue Parscale during "a series of calls and meetings last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday." Those also included White House Senior Advisor and son-in-law Jared Kushner, and RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel. The Post notes the threat to sue Parscale may or may not have been in jest.
The call was "part of an effort by aides to curtail Trump's freewheeling daily briefings on the coronavirus pandemic." It apparently worked. Trump's Friday briefing was only 22 minutes long and the president took no questions at the end. He also skipped his regular Saturday and Sunday briefings, and attempted a new format on Monday, which was essentially the same as his usual press conferences.
Aides and GOP officials say the briefings are hurting Trump. Last week on Thursday his suggestion that doctors investigate if an "injection" of disinfectant could cure coronavirus exploded across the country, its effects still being felt nearly one week later.
But Trump "resisted the pleas, saying people 'love' the briefings and think he is 'fighting for them,' a person with knowledge of the Wednesday conversation said. Trump has long been distrustful of polling data presented to him when the numbers are not positive, aides say."
- Trump Campaign Is Funneling Money To Don Junior's Girlfriend ... ›
- Trump Campaign's 2020 Strategy Is 'Clinton Cash' All Over Again ... ›
- EndorseThis: Randy Rainbow Sends Up The Trump 2020 Campaign ›
- Trump Says His Crashing Poll Ratings Are 'Very Unfair' - National Memo ›
- Trump Demands CNN ‘Retract’ Poll That Shows Him Losing Badly - National Memo ›
- Trump Lags In Polls, But Don’t Count Him Out Yet - National Memo ›
- Polls: Trump's Unpopularity Drags Down GOP Senators In Key States - National Memo ›
- Running Useless TV Ads, Trump Campaign ’Sets Money On Fire’ ›