The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By David Ovalle, The Miami Herald

MIAMI — Derick Kuilan, the ex-Miami Beach cop convicted of running over two beach-goers during a joyride on a police all-terrain vehicle, was sentenced to 18 months in prison on Thursday.

“Many people will have to live with the consequences of your actions,” Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Marisa Tinkler Mendez told him. “No one is above the law.”

The fired police officer, who has been jailed since his conviction last month, had faced up to five years in prison.

Kuilan, 33, made national news when he took a bride-to-be on a joyride in July 2011. Just before the accident, Kuilan — mugging for the camera with a too-cool sneer — took a photo with a bachelorette party at the Clevelander hotel nightclub, an image that became notorious.

Prosecutors said Kuilan was drunk as he recklessly rocketed down the South Beach sand with the woman, his headlights off. The heavy vehicle ran ran over Kitzie Nicanor and Luis Almonte, friends who had walked out on the sand to watch the sunrise.

The episode proved to be a major embarrassment for a police department already marred by controversial shootings and officer misconduct.

Almonte suffered a broken femur and now has a metal rod in his leg. Nicanor lost her spleen, suffered a hip injury, and suffered brain trauma.

Both are suing the police department. Jurors acquitted Kuilan of driving while intoxicated, despite evidence that he was legally drunk five hours after the crash.

But he was convicted of reckless driving with serious bodily injury, a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years prison.

Photo via WikiCommons

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Pat McCrory

Youtube Screenshot

If former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory is any indication, the GOP primary wounds wrought in the last several months stand a good chance of bleeding into the general election this fall.

McCrory, who lost his bid Tuesday to become the Republican nominee for the Tar Heel State's open Senate seat, declined to endorse his GOP rival, Rep. Ted Budd, the Trump endorsee.

Keep reading... Show less

Dr. Mehmet Oz

Youtube Screenshot

Senate candidate Mehmet Oz thanked Fox News host Sean Hannity for advising him “behind the scenes,” helping to bring him to the cusp of a potential victory in Tuesday night’s primary in Pennsylvania — a revelation that further illustrates Hannity’s position as a Republican operative who leverages his media presence for political influence.

The Republican primary race could potentially go to a recount, with Oz currently ahead of former hedge fund manager Dave McCormick by a slender margin. The winner will face Democratic nominee Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who won his primary by a landslide. During a speech on Tuesday night, Oz first thanked his wife, his children, and his campaign staff and then called out two key political figures who endorsed him and advised him throughout the campaign: former President Donald Trump and Hannity.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}