From growing up on a sharecropper’s farm to helping lead the civil rights movement and serving 13 terms in Congress, U.S. Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) has lived an iconic American life. Now Lewis, along with co-author Andrew Aydin and award-winning artist Nate Powell, is retelling his journey through an epic graphic novel trilogy: March.
In the following excerpt from Book One, the authors recount the aftermath of Lewis and his fellow activists’ arrests during the Nashville sit-ins of 1960.
You can purchase the book here.
Reprinted from March: Book One by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell with permission from Top Shelf Productions. Copyright © 2013.
Want more updates on great books? Sign up for our daily email newsletter here!
- Rep. John Lewis, Civil Rights Hero And Democratic Icon, Dead At 80 - National Memo ›
- Video: The True Story Behind John Lewis' Historic Speech At 1963 March On Washington - National Memo ›
- How To Remember The Real John Lewis — And His Righteous Struggle - National Memo ›
- For John Lewis, We Will Carry On ›
- ‘Walk With The Wind’…And Vote - National Memo ›