The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Trump’s family separation policy was not only unconscionably cruel, it could also cost taxpayers billions of dollars in damages, the Associated Press reported Friday.

As part of a joint investigation with PBS’ Frontline, the Associated Press reviewed 38 legal claims from parents that allege a range of abuse children suffered while in government custody. More lawsuits are expected, and the damages could reach into the billions.

One person suing the administration is a Guatemalan man who fled his hometown, hoping to find asylum for himself and his 7-year-old son after government officials there burned down his home. When he crossed the border, his child was taken away from him and shipped to a U.S. government-funded foster home in New York. While there, the boy says he was sexually molested by other boys in the home.

“How is it possible that my son was suffering these things?” the father said. “My son is little and couldn’t defend himself.”

The father is among several others preparing to sue the federal government over Trump’s family separation policy. Several of the families said their children were “sexually, physically or emotionally abused in federally funded foster care,” the Associated Press reported.

Trump’s family separation policy resulted in thousands of children being ripped away from their family. The Trump administration knew that children separated from their parents could cause lasting harm, but ignored the advice and went forward with the plan anyway. While some children suffered abuse in the system, other children are still recovering from the trauma of being torn away from their family.

“Now she’s scared each time we go out or when she sees a police car or someone in uniform,” said a mother of a 5-year-old daughter who was taken away from her. “She says ‘Mami, don’t let them separate us again.'”

Some are suing the Trump administration over actions that resulted in the death of adults. In one case, the wife of a Honduran man is preparing to sue because her husband killed himself after the Trump administration tore his 3-year-old son from his arms.

“Essentially what this policy does, is it makes examples out of families that get ripped apart to deter others,” John Escamilla, an attorney representing the man’s wife and two children, said.

“The people making these policies intended this level of suffering, and that’s what’s unconscionable,” he added.

“Trump’s policy of family separation always amounted to state-sponsored child abuse. Now we’re seeing just how far that abuse went,” Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA) told Shareblue Media. “These children came here to exercise their legal right to claim asylum and seek a better, safer future here in America. Instead, they became victims of abuse and a cruel war on immigrants led by a President who seeks to gain power by stoking the flames of bigotry.”

“They deserve justice, but more than that, they deserve to be treated like human beings,” she added

Trump and Republicans regularly defended the family separation policy, and now their anti-immigrant zeal might cost taxpayers millions, if not billions.

Published with permission of The American Independent.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Despite Pro-Choice Ruling, Supreme Court Still Threatens Abortion Rights
Despite Pro-Choice Ruling, Supreme Court Still Threatens Abortion Rights

New Hampshire has long had a history of supporting abortion rights, but that's changed. Now, clinics that provide abortion in the state are being denied funding, and Republican Gov. Chris Sununu — who claimed to be "pro-choice" when he ran for re-election in 2018 — signed into law the first abortion ban in the state's history last month.

The move to undermine funding for clinics that provide abortions began last year, when New Hampshire's Executive Council, which must approve all state contracts, added an audit provision for clinics that receive money from the state's family planning program. The council alleged, despite much evidence proving otherwise, that state funds were being used for abortions at places like Planned Parenthood, which is illegal in New Hampshire.

Keep reading... Show less
#EndorseThis: Lindell Loses It When CNN Says His 'Proof' Is 'Completely Ridiculous'
#EndorseThis: Lindell Loses It When CNN Says His 'Proof' Is 'Completely Ridiculous'

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell is now claiming that some financial institutions no longer want to do business with him because he poses a "reputation risk" as he continues to push former President Donald Trump's false claims of voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

On Friday, January 14, Lindell appeared on Steve Bannon's podcast "War Room" where he claimed "Heartland Financial and Minnesota Bank and Trust are attempting to 'de-bank' him over concerns that they could face fallout related to having him as a client," Newsweek reports. During the broadcast, the two right-wing enthusiasts played an audio recording of what they claim was a discussion between Lindell and a banking official.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}