The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

Jordanian Ambassador To Tripoli Is Abducted

By Nehal El-Sherif and Taylor Luck, McClatchy Tribune News

AMMAN, Jordan — Libyan gunmen seeking the release of an alleged al-Qaeda operative held in Jordan abducted Amman’s ambassador Tuesday in Tripoli, local media and Jordanian officials said.

Ambassador Fawaz al-Aytan’s motorcade came under attack from masked gunmen in two cars without licence plates, Libya’s official LANA news agency reported, quoting a Foreign Ministry spokesman in Tripoli.

The gunmen seized al-Aytan, while his driver was hospitalized with two bullet wounds, the report said.

Jordanian Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh urged the abductors to immediately release the envoy, citing al-Aytan’s “devoted service to Libya and the Libyan people.” According to a Jordanian Foreign Ministry official, Libyan authorities informed Amman late Tuesday that the kidnappers had demanded the release of Mohammed Saeed al-Dirsi, a Libyan national imprisoned in Jordan on terrorism charges since 2004.

“Our Libyan counterparts have informed us that a group claiming to be the kidnappers have contacted them and have pledged to release our ambassador unharmed in return for al-Dirsi,” the official, who declined to be identified as he was not authorized to speak to the media, told dpa.

Tripoli and Amman had previously entered negotiations in 2012 over the transfer of al-Dirsi, also known as Mohammed al-Nuss, an alleged al-Qaida operative whom Jordanian authorities arrested in late 2004 as he attempted to cross into Iraq.

Judeh’s statement noted that “the security situation is very difficult there,” but that Amman was working with Libyan authorities to secure al-Aytan’s release.

The U.N. Security Council condemned the abduction and called for the ambassador’s immediate release and for protection of other diplomats in Libya.

“The members of the Security Council reaffirmed that such acts are unjustifiable regardless of their motivations, whenever and by whomsoever committed,” the U.N. said.

The council stressed that the perpetrators of such acts must be brought to justice.

“The members of the Security Council called on the Libyan authorities to protect diplomatic and consular property and personnel, to respect fully their international obligations in this regard, and to work towards the safe release of the ambassador,” the statement said.

Libya’s caretaker leadership has been struggling to impose order since dictator Moammar Gadhafi was toppled in 2011.

The North African nation’s prime minister-designate, Abdullah al-Thini, resigned Sunday, citing what he said was an attack on him and his family by a militia.

Former prime minister Ali Zeidan was briefly kidnapped last year. He was released with the help of militia fighters.

Five Egyptian diplomats were briefly abducted in January, as was a South Korean trade official.

In September 2012, the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other diplomatic workers were killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi.

AFP Photo/Ibrahim Chalhoub

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Youtube Screenshot

In late 2011, John Oliver and his Daily Show cameraman made a trek to my office, then in Providence, Rhode Island, to take me to task. I had recently referred to the Tea Partiers who had pushed America to the brink of a disastrous default as "economic terrorists."

Oliver had apparently swallowed whole a series of barbs directed my way by a Wall Street Journal blogger who didn't seem to like women much. The blogger kept calling me the "Civility diva" and a "Baroness Catherine Ashton lookalike." (A member of the British parliament, Ashton was said to be homely.) He was quite the wit.

Keep reading...Show less

Donald Trump and Mike Pence

Youtube Screenshot

Several mainstream media outlets are manufacturing a political narrative that the discovery of classified documents at the homes of both President Joe Biden and former Vice President Mike Pence should alleviate pressure on disgraced former President Donald Trump, who not only took a vast trove of federal records but also refused to give them back.

Biden and Pence have both cooperated with federal investigators to recover and return documents that belong to the government, and both situations have rekindled scrutiny at the overall system of federal document classification and retention, which appears to be in serious need of reform. Their two examples stand in stark contrast to Trump’s behavior, and possible misconduct, regarding his own handling of government records.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}