As Major Defeat Loomed, McCarthy Said Recall Is ‘Pretty Big Victory’
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday claimed that even if the Republican-led campaign to recall Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom in California fails, it will still be a "pretty big victory" for his party. McCarthy represents California's 23rd Congressional District in Congress.
In an appearance on Fox News' Fox and Friends, he was asked what his expectations were for the outcome of the recall attempt, with polls set to close in California at 8 p.m. PT on Tuesday.
"Gavin Newsom has all the money, we just have the issues on our side," said McCarthy, adding, "Just getting it to a recall is a pretty big victory in itself."
California has some of the most lenient laws in the country as far as recalling a governor or other statewide official. The state requires that a petition collect signatures amounting to 12 percent of the votes cast in the last election for the office, the smallest percentage of signatures needed of all states. And due to the pandemic, recall hopefuls were granted an additional 120 days to gather signatures.
In spite of these advantages favoring the Republican-backed recall, polling has consistently shown opposition to the effort. In FiveThirtyEight's average of recall polls, 57.8 percent of respondents support keeping Newsom in office, while support for removal is at 41.5 percent.
The 12 most recent polls listed on the FiveThirtyEight site show the option to retain Newsom with a double-digit lead, ranging from 10 to 19 points.
From the September 14 edition of Fox & Friends:
AINSLEY EARHARDT, Fox News: What do you expect in California today, your state, with this recall?
KEVIN MCCARTHY: It's going to be interesting. Because here we are in California, Democrats outnumber Republicans two to one, but you're going to have to really watch what turns out today.
If Republicans are – independents are voting to remove Gavin Newsom, because think about it for one moment, if you travel California, there's homelessness in every place of it. Crime rising. There's not one national park in California open because there's mismanagement of forest that comes every single year. And do you want to reward that?
He's been in Sacramento for more than a decade and he has no plan to turn it around. All he does is bring in Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, and others to say, "Keep me, otherwise a Republican will win."
This is an opportunity to change the course. If we have a deficit going into election day, of a million or less, there's an opportunity that we can be successful here. But, you know, Gavin Newsom has all the money, we just have the issues on our side. Just getting it to a recall is a pretty big victory in itself.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Trailing In Recall Polls, Elder Spews Election Fraud Lies - National ... ›
- Newsom Rips Trump And Elder Over 'Election Fraud' Whining ... ›
- Christian Nationalists Predict Victory For Far-Right Recall Candidate ... ›
- GOP Strategists Dread Elder's Looming Defeat In Recall - National ... ›
- With Newsom Leading In Recall, Fox News Cries 'Fraud' - National ... ›
- Recall Results Show Trumpism On The Run ›
- Flattened By Vote, Recall Activists Wanly Claim 'Success' ›
- McCarthy, California Republicans call out Newsom over vaccine ... ›
- Washington politicians gear up for Newsom recall battle: 'We're ... ›
- Gavin Newsom's California Fracking Ban Blasted by Kevin McCarthy ›
- Which California Republicans endorsed Gavin Newsom recall ... ›
- Gavin Newsom recall election is turning into landslide, poll shows ›
- Removing Newsom in California recall election is a mistake - Los ... ›
- California Republicans feud over party direction ahead of high ... ›