Enrique Tarrio, who served nearly a year in federal prison for his role in a plot to resell stolen medical supplies, will seek the Republican nomination to take on Rep. Donna Shalala (D-FL).
The Proud Boys are an infamous group of self-described “western chauvinists” with a history of “repeated acts of violence.” Local law enforcement officials have described them as an “extremist group with ties to White Nationalism” and the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated the Proud Boys as a hate group, citing their “anti-Muslim and misogynistic rhetoric.”
Tarrio, who according to the Washington Post describes himself as Afro-Cuban, became national chair last year. He has denied that the group is racist.
“I’m not a white supremacist. I’m not an extremist. I’m a regular dude,” he told the Post in February.
Tarrio has a history hateful social media posts, has repeatedly been kicked off of Twitter — once after threatening to target undocumented immigrants — and was an attendee at the infamous 2017 “Unite the Right” white supremacist march in Charlottesville, Virginia.
The website listed on his FEC statement was not yet active as of Friday afternoon. The campaign contact listed on the form, Liz Curtis of Liz Curtis & Associates, did not immediately respond to an inquiry about Tarrio’s campaign.
Her client list includes 2018 Senate nominee Corey Stewart (R-VA), 2020 Senate candidates Roy Moore (R-AL) and Kris Kobach (R-KS), and 2020 House candidate Laura Loomer (R-FL).
Published with permission of The American Independent.
IMAGE: Rep. Donna Shalala (D-FL), political target of “Proud Boys” leader Enrique Tarrio.
- Watch: Trump Tells White Supremacists To ’Stand By - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Far Right, Proud Boys Cheer Trump’s Call To ’Stand By’ - National Memo ›
- From GOP Senators, A Deafening Silence On Trump And White Supremacists - National Memo ›
- Proud Boys Crack-Up Reveals Their White Nationalist Essence - National Memo ›
- No Longer Standing By: Proud Boys Bring Thug Tactics To Post-Election Rallies ›
- Shooting In Olympia As Fascist Violence Spreads Across The Country - National Memo ›
- Proud Boys Attacked Black Churches In DC — Just Like KKK - National Memo ›
- Proud Boys Leader Arrested In Washington On Eve Of Protest - National Memo ›
- The Proud Boys Return To Neverland - National Memo ›
- Did Proud Boys Know Their Leader Was Longtime Police Informant? - National Memo ›
- FBI Uncovers Evidence Of National Coordination In Attack On Capitol - National Memo ›