The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

At Least Six People Confirmed Dead As Authorities Declare Multiple London Attacks A Terrorist Incident

12 people arrested over London attack; death toll rises to 7 (6/4/17)

Reprinted with permission from Alternet.

Authorities have declared the attacks in London an official, organized “terrorist incident,” and BBC reports at least six people have died from vehicle and stabbing attacks.

On the evening of Saturday, June 3, a white van reportedly veered off the road and mowed down pedestrians on London Bridge. Simultaneously, at nearby and popular Borough Market, and three terrorists took at least six lives according to recent counts. At least 30 people were transported by ambulance to nearby hospitals, London Ambulance Service reported.

As the Boston Globe reported Saturday:

“Police said the hit-and-run on London Bridge and stabbings nearby have been officially declared a ‘terrorist incident.’ “The violence turned a summery Saturday night in an area packed with bars and restaurants into a scene of panic and chaos, with officers running through crowded streets screaming for people to flee and lifeboats drafted to help clear the area.”

According to BBC:

“Prime Minister Theresa May described the incidents as ‘dreadful events’ and will chair a meeting of the government’s Cobra emergency committee later on Sunday.

She added: ‘I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism.'”

April M. Short is a yoga teacher and writer who previously worked as AlterNet’s drugs and health editor. She currently works part-time for AlterNet, and freelances for a number of publications nationwide.

This article was made possible by the readers and supporters of AlterNet.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Youtube Screenshot

In late 2011, John Oliver and his Daily Show cameraman made a trek to my office, then in Providence, Rhode Island, to take me to task. I had recently referred to the Tea Partiers who had pushed America to the brink of a disastrous default as "economic terrorists."

Oliver had apparently swallowed whole a series of barbs directed my way by a Wall Street Journal blogger who didn't seem to like women much. The blogger kept calling me the "Civility diva" and a "Baroness Catherine Ashton lookalike." (A member of the British parliament, Ashton was said to be homely.) He was quite the wit.

Keep reading...Show less

Donald Trump and Mike Pence

Youtube Screenshot

Several mainstream media outlets are manufacturing a political narrative that the discovery of classified documents at the homes of both President Joe Biden and former Vice President Mike Pence should alleviate pressure on disgraced former President Donald Trump, who not only took a vast trove of federal records but also refused to give them back.

Biden and Pence have both cooperated with federal investigators to recover and return documents that belong to the government, and both situations have rekindled scrutiny at the overall system of federal document classification and retention, which appears to be in serious need of reform. Their two examples stand in stark contrast to Trump’s behavior, and possible misconduct, regarding his own handling of government records.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}