Reprinted with permission from Alternet
There is a civil war brewing within the Republican Party in Nevada. According to the Las Vegas Sun, tensions began to rise when members of the Clark County Republican Party (CCRP) expressed concern about the state party's director Michael McDonald who is accused of recruiting members of the far-right group The Proud Boys to run for public office.
The move was reportedly an effort to increase the extremist presence in the state's political party. On July 20, CCRP members held a meeting to select officers. However, that meeting was interrupted when individuals affiliated with The Proud Boyscrashed it. The publication offered a clear depiction of how the scene erupted.
"It was an ugly scene with echoes of the January 6 riot, except instead of Big Lie insurrectionists trying to take over the Capitol, they were trying to bully their way into a takeover of the county party's moderate leadership," the publication noted.
It added, "Egged on by the Proud Boy members, the crowd broke into angry chants of 'Stop the steal' and 'Let us in.' Security officers had to face down crowd members rushing the meeting room entrance before a small army of Metro officers arrived to quell the situation and break up the crowd."
The latest news follows the CCRP's previous cancellation of a meeting due to fears of a Proud Boys insurgency. Back in May, The Daily Beast reported about the far-right extremist group's targeting of the CCRP. At the time, Stephen Sliberkraus, the CCRP vice chair, spoke during a press conference where he highlighted concerns about neo-Nazi content from the far-right group.
"Members of this group have launched online attacks against some of our female elected officials including a district court judge, a school board trustee, a state senator, and our secretary of state," Sliberkraus said. "The Proud Boys call themselves 'proud chauvinists' and by their actions, demonstrate an intent to target women and minorities in positions of authority."
- Proud Boys Resurface To Infiltrate Local Communities - National ... ›
- Far-Right Gunmen Accused Of Shooting Near Seattle 'CHOP' Zone ... ›
- Post-Insurrection Crackdown On Criminal Extremists Is Gathering ... ›
- As Prophecies Fail, Monetizing The Gullible Is Still QAnon's True ... ›
- Far Right, Proud Boys Cheer Trump's Call To 'Stand By' - National ... ›
- Insurrectionists Turned Informants Are Tightening Screws On Jan. 6 ... ›
- Far-Right Evangelicals Joining Up With Violent Proud Boys ›
- Poll: Americans More Worried By Domestic Terrorism Than Foreign Enemies ›
- Consultants for NV GOP sought out Proud Boys for post-election ... ›
- Colorado-connected GOP operative sideswiped in Nevada Proud ... ›
- A post-insurrection pep talk from a Las Vegas Proud Boy - The ... ›
- Activists with ties to Proud Boys may seek leadership of Clark ... ›
- Surprise! Chairman McDonald blames others in GOP-Proud Boys ... ›
- Proud Boys, militia, and QAnon out in Carson City | Sierra Nevada Ally ›
- Nevada GOP thrown into turmoil after avowed Proud Boys member ... ›
- 'It's insane': Proud Boys furor tests limits of Trump's GOP - POLITICO ›
- Nevada Republican consultant worked with operative to get Proud ... ›