Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Multiple Republican members of Congress have called on President Joe Biden to resign or be impeached after ISIS carried out a terror attack in Afghanistan on Thursday that killed 13 American troops and more than 150 Afghan citizens.
But Republican lawmakers never called on former President Donald Trump to resign or face impeachment for his record in Afghanistan, even with a dramatic increase in Afghan civilian deaths during his term and the deaths of 63 troops from 2017 to 2020, according to a count from the Defense Department.
The GOP lawmakers calling for Biden to face consequences for the attack are some of Trump's biggest supporters on Capitol Hill.
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) is circulating an article of impeachment against Biden, tweeting Friday morning: "Biden and all key decision makers are responsible for the deaths of 13 soldiers. The Taliban allowed the ISIS attacks. US officials gave them a kill list. And we have not retaliated? There should be harsh punishment against the Taliban and ISIS-K. And we must #ImpeachBiden!"
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) said he co-sponsored the article of impeachment against Biden that Greene is circulating, adding in a statement, "The President promised to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, but it is evident the President has failed to fulfill this charge."
Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) also called for Biden's resignation, tweetingThursday afternoon, "To say that today's loss of American lives in Kabul is sickening does not begin to do justice to what has happened. It is enraging. And Joe Biden is responsible. It is now clear beyond all doubt that he has neither the capacity nor the will to lead. He must resign."
Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-MO) — who is running in a crowded GOP primary for Missouri's open Senate seat —called on Biden to resign over the attack as well.
"President Biden must resign," she tweeted Friday morning. "His standing in America, and the world, is forever diminished. It is time he realize this and acknowledge our recovery begins with his resignation as president. It is the right thing to do."
While Thursday was the deadliest single day of the war in Afghanistan since 2011, according to the New York Times, American troops have died in the conflict every year since it began nearly 20 years ago.
In 2020, for example, 11 American troops were killed in the war, while 23 died in 2019, according to Defense Department data.
Republicans never called on Trump to resign for his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic either. By the time he left office, 400,000 people had died in the United States from COVID-19.
Biden expressed deep remorse for the deaths of the American troops who died trying to evacuate American citizens and Afghan allies who helped the United States during the 20-year conflict.
"These American service members who gave their lives — it's an overused word, but it's totally appropriate — they were heroes," Biden said in remarks from the White House Thursday evening. "Heroes who have been engaged in a dangerous, selfless mission to save the lives of others."
He vowed retribution against the terrorists whose attack killed the troops and Afghans who were trying to leave the country.
"To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay," Biden said. "I will defend our interests and our people with every measure at my command."
More than 110,000 people have been evacuated from Afghanistan since late July, according to a White House official. The vast majority — or 105,000 — have been evacuated since August 14.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Afghan Mission Impossible Was Not Possible - National Memo ›
- How Stephen Miller's Racist Hysteria Endangered Our Afghan Allies ... ›
- Republicans Frantically Erasing Trump's 'Historic' Deal With Taliban ... ›
- Mainstream Media's Afghan Blame Game Is Rigged For GOP ... ›
- Under Trump, Republicans Favored Swift Afghan Withdrawal — And ... ›
- Why The Press Won't Tell The Truth About The 'Forever Wars ... ›
- Trump's Brilliant Plan? Bomb Our Afghan Bases,Then Withdraw US ... ›
- Pompeo's Hometown Paper Roasts His Afghan Hypocrisy - National ... ›
- Evacuations From Afghanistan Speed Up As Taliban Promise Peace ... ›
- U.S. Sending More Consular Officers To Assist Afghanistan ... ›
- Biden Orders Commercial Airlines To Assist Afghanistan Evacuation ... ›
- Leaving Afghanistan Shows Wisdom, Not Weakness - National Memo ›
- Fox News Manipulates Video To Smear Biden At Dover Military Ceremony ›
- Still Lying: Trump Claims Afghan Departure Left '$85 Billion' In Weapons ›
- In Afghanistan Biden Did What Was Right, Not What Was Easy ›
- Suddenly, Republicans Are Upset Over A President Leaving The White House ›
- Republicans Split On Biden's Afghanistan Withdrawal, With Some ... ›
- Republicans trash Afghanistan 'embarrassment' in closed-door ... ›
- GOP faces hurdles in push to make Afghanistan matter in the ... ›
- Opinion | Republicans are already using the Afghan withdrawal to ... ›
- Ahead of 2022 midterms, Republicans see opening with chaos in ... ›
- Republicans' phony complaints about Afghanistan exit. ›
- Republicans Are Weaponizing Afghanistan Chaos to Get Ahead in ... ›
- Republicans split on strategy to make Biden pay a political price for ... ›
- McCarthy tells Republicans Biden will face a 'reckoning' for handling ... ›