The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Tenny Tatusian, Los Angeles Times (TNS)

The white South Carolina police officer whose shooting of a fleeing, unarmed black man was captured in a chilling cellphone video has been indicted on a murder charge by a grand jury.

Michael Thomas Slager, who has been in jail since the video shot by a pedestrian on his way to work surfaced nationally in April, is being charged with murder in the death of Walter Scott, a driver who ran out of his car after Slager pulled him over.

Slager had been with the North Charleston Police Department for five years before being fired three days after the April 4 shooting.

The video shows Scott running away from Slager as the now former North Charleston police officer unleashed a volley of gunfire that brought the 50-year-old down.

The murder indictment was expected: In the video, Slager is seen firing eight shots at Scott as he’s running away.

(Los Angeles Times staff writers James Queally, Christine Mai-Duc and David Zucchino contributed to this report.)

(c)2015 Los Angeles Times. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Screenshot: New York Times/YouTube

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Ivanka Trump told the House Select Committee investigating the violent January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol that she accepted former Attorney General William P. Barr’s assertions that her father’s stolen election claims are “bullshit.”

But the New York Times revealed on Tuesday that for more than a month after the election, Trump’s fruitless legal crusade to overturn the 2020 election results had his eldest daughter’s complete and total backing. Per the Times, Ivanka told a documentary film crew in mid-December 2020 that she wanted Trump to “continue to fight until every legal remedy is exhausted” because “a lot of Americans” were supposedly questioning “the sanctity of our elections.”

Keep reading... Show less

Wandrea "Shaye" Moss

YouTube Screenshot

Georgia election worker Wandrea “Shaye” Moss was collateral damage in Fox News’ campaign to prop up Donald Trump’s false claims of election fraud following the 2020 presidential election.

In December 2020, the network’s prime-time hosts and “straight news” personnel alike baselessly suggested that Moss and her mother and fellow election worker, Ruby Freeman, had participated in a fraud scheme. The Fox personalities don’t seem to regret their actions: After Moss described the impact those conspiracy theories had on her life to the January 6 House select committee on Tuesday, the network devoted all of 14 seconds to her testimony.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}