Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – Superman and Batman are to team up in a new film, its director and the studio behind this year’s blockbuster “Man of Steel” announced on Saturday.

The new movie was announced by director Zack Snyder, widely praised for rebooting the Superman franchise last month, with Briton Henry Cavil proving his mettle in the title role.

Batman has yet to be cast, after Christian Bale said he had hung up his cape after the third and final “Dark Knight” movie last year.

The superhero double-act could be seen as an attempt by studio giant Warner Bros to emulate the record-breaking success of last year’s “Avengers” mega-hit, featuring Marvel characters.

“I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC (comic book) Universe in this next chapter,” Snyder told the Comic-Con international pop culture gathering in San Diego.

“Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world,” he said, cited by industry journal Variety.

DC Entertainment supremo Diane Nelson added: “Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere.

“All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe,” she added, according to Variety.

Filming on the new movie is due to start next year, for a release in the middle of 2015.

“Man of Steel” has been a commercial success, taking over $600 million since its release last month. “The Dark Knight Rises” made over $1 billion last year.

“The Avengers,” based on Marvel comic superheros including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk, has taken $1.5 billion globally for Warner’s studio giant rivals at Disney.

Actor as Donald Trump in Russia Today video ad

Screenshot from RT's 'Trump is here to make RT Great Again'

Russia Today, the network known in this country as RT, has produced a new "deep fake" video that portrays Donald Trump in post-presidential mode as an anchor for the Kremlin outlet. Using snippets of Trump's own voice and an actor in an outlandish blond wig, the ad suggests broadly that the US president is indeed a wholly owned puppet of Vladimir Putin– as he has so often given us reason to suspect.

"They're very nice. I make a lot of money with them," says the actor in Trump's own voice. "They pay me millions and hundreds of millions."

But when American journalists described the video as "disturbing," RT retorted that their aim wasn't to mock Trump, but his critics and every American who objects to the Russian manipulations that helped bring him to power.

As an ad for RT the video is amusing, but the network's description of it is just another lie. Putin's propagandists are again trolling Trump and America, as they've done many times over the past few years –- and this should be taken as a warning of what they're doing as Election Day approaches.

The Lincoln Project aptly observed that the Russians "said the quiet part out loud" this time, (Which is a bad habit they share with Trump.)