The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Reprinted with permission from Alternet.

Cesar Sayoc changed his plea Thursday and admitted to sending 16 mailed pipe bombs to critics of President Donald Trump.

The 57-year-old Florida man, who had a criminal record before the FBI arrested him in connection with the attempted bombings, initially pleaded not guilty to the charges. Last week, though, court documents indicated that he planned to change his plea.

The pipe bombs, none of which detonated, were sent to Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama, former CIA director John Brennan via CNN, and other prominent Democrats. His van was seized by federal authorities at the time of his arrest, and it showed he was obsessed with Trump and his critics.

The FBI noted when he was apprehended that though the pipe bombs did not explode, they were not meant to be hoaxes.

He was charged with 30 counts, including criminal mailing of explosives and use of weapons of mass destruction.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

REP. ZOE LOFGREN

YouTube Screenshot

On Tuesday, the House Select Committee hearing featured testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson, former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’ aide. It was damning. Hutchinson went on the record reiterating what she had told investigators previously, detailing the many things she saw and heard before and during January 6, 2021. Her testimony touched on Trump’s insistence that he join the riot at the Capitol, his knowledge of armed MAGA audience members, the bizarre disappearing act Meadows performed, and the fact that leading up to the “Stop the Steal” rally, Trump’s own lawyer knew that crimes were most likely being committed.

One of the more explosive moments in Hutchinson’s testimony concerned her recounting of what Trump’s former lead Secret Service agent turned political adviser Anthony Ornato told her about Donald Trump’s actions, alleging he attacked his chief security official, Robert “Bobby” Engel, when Engel would not allow him to lead the rioters at the Capitol grounds. This reportedly took place after Trump left the Stop of Steal rally on January 6, 2021.

Keep reading... Show less

Wayne Willott

YouTube Screenshot

Wayne Willott, a QAnon influencer known online as “Juan O. Savin” who is recruiting and supporting candidates for election-administration positions around the country, warned of “civil war” if people try to “move past” the 2020 presidential election.

Savin is part of a coalition led by Jim Marchant, which aims to recruit and elect secretary of state candidates who have pushed false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}