Reprinted with permission from MediaMatters
Fox News anchor Maria Bartiromo hosted President Donald Trump for an extended appearance on her show, where he told numerous lies as part of his democracy-undermining effort to claim that he actually won the 2020 presidential election. Bartiromo offered no pushback to Trump's lies, and in fact encouraged him to lie at length about the election.
Bartiromo, who is ostensibly part of Fox News's "news side" -- a distinction the channel claims exists between its anchors and opinion hosts -- is known for pushing conspiracy theories and propagandistic interviews of Trump.
The president joined Fox News program Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo for 45 minutes of the hour-long program. The extended appearance, where no commercial breaks were aired, largely consisted ofTrump going on repetitious monologues where he promoted his attempt to steal the 2020 presidential election, which is premised on his false claim that President-elect Joe Biden secured his victory because of widespread voter fraud. During the first several minutes of the interview, Trump pushed conspiracy theories about dead voters, voter fraud in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, specifically, and Dominion Voter Systems, setting the stage for the rest of his appearance.
Trump also called Bartiromo "brave" for having him on the show to push his deranged conspiracy theories that seek to undermine democracy.
Bartiromo made no attempt to ask that Trump provide any evidence to back up the multitude of lies he told on the show. In fact, she egged Trump on, claiming Biden's victory was the result of "impossible statistics" and claiming that what is happening to Trump is "disgusting" because "we cannot allow America's election to be corrupted."
Bartiromo's interview was rightfully derided:
Whew Maria went all in on at least three different conspiracies at the 10:42 min mark. She’s way off the deep end.… https://t.co/XG2TVxvqMO— Amanda Carpenter (@Amanda Carpenter) 1606664631.0
Maria Bartiromo is not disputing any of the lies Trump is telling on her program so far, including the false claim… https://t.co/xdB3j4ZKdb— Felicia Sonmez (@Felicia Sonmez) 1606663570.0
Maria Bartiromo complains that "the media declared Joe Biden President-elect on November 7 -- they set the narrativ… https://t.co/3zXATGqEtJ— Justin Baragona (@Justin Baragona) 1606665425.0
- Anthony Scaramucci Once Called Trump “Another Hack Politician ... ›
- Trump (And Fox) Revert To Blaming 'The Media' For His Woes ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- They’re Alive! List Of ‘Dead Voters’ On Social Media Is Just Another GOP Fraud - National Memo ›
- Culpable For Thousands Of Deaths, Fox News Is ‘Misinformer Of The Year' - National Memo ›
- How Kevin McCarthy Left Mitch McConnell 'Twisting' As Trump Pursued Coup - National Memo ›
- Trump’s Departure Drives Fox News Deeper Into Fever Swamps - National Memo ›
- Big Trump Donor Demands $2.5 Million Refund Over Failed Election Challenge - National Memo ›
- Trump's new Fox News interview with Maria Bartiromo on the ... ›
- With Fox's Maria Bartiromo as his first post-election interviewer ... ›
- Fox News' Maria Bartiromo slammed for 'softball' Trump interview ›
- Fox News' Maria Bartiromo gave Trump his first TV interview since ... ›
- Maria Bartiromo's Strange Trip From 'Money Honey' to One of ... ›