Start your day with National Memo Newsletter
The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) posted a short video clip of himself in a "round table" meeting with Donald Trump and over a dozen people, which he labeled, "Creating the Plan to Win," and captioned: "Behind the Scenes."
The video, since disappeared but captured by some savvy internet users, shows Trump at his usual place whenever he's seated at a table, dead center. One man can be heard saying something about "half a million dollar salaries for four years," and asking, "What do we do? We're a little bit of a special group."
Former federal prosecutor Ron Filipkowski posted a copy:
Cawthorn also posted photos:
It's all eerily reminiscent of Trump's White House cabinet meetings setup, more so after Trump's former White House Chief of Staff went on right wing cable news Friday talking about how the former president is currently holding meetings with his "Cabinet," as if he were a president in exile.
"We met with several of our Cabinet members tonight," Mark Meadows told Newsmax, "we actually had a follow-up … meeting with some of our Cabinet members, and … we're looking at what does come next."
The New York Times' Maggie Haberman was so stunned she weighed in on Twitter:
I can’t stop thinking about this interview. The former chief of staff is talking as if there’s a shadow presidency… https://t.co/qVvoNcvDXd— Maggie Haberman (@Maggie Haberman)1627746802.0
Cawthorn, a member of what some call the "Sedition Caucus," held a $50,000 a plate fundraiser at Bedminster Saturday, one day after that curious video was taken, with "special guest" Donald Trump. Cawthorn desperately needs the cash. He's reportedly spent $1.5 million of his $1.8 million fundraising haulthis year.
One of Cawthorn's Democratic opponents mocked him on Twitter:
Today Madison Cawthorn is hosting a $50,000/person fundraiser at Donald Trump’s NJ golf course. So we had our own (… https://t.co/LkbEN1OvpE— Jasmine Beach-Ferrara (@Jasmine Beach-Ferrara)1627759502.0
Some are responding to the "Cabinet" video and photos. Filipkowski says, "I think it's about the second rally at the Capitol they are planning on Sept 18."
@RonFilipkowski Wonder if this is the "cabinet meeting" which insurrection enabler Mark Meadows was referring to?… https://t.co/V5rIJ8QcUz— John Yap (@John Yap)1627873040.0
@RonFilipkowski Trump’s coup is ongoing.— Em (@Em)1627868683.0
@RonFilipkowski @CawthornforNC thank you for the evidence.— Fuck trump (not a fan of coups) (@Fuck trump (not a fan of coups))1627868715.0
Sedition on film. https://t.co/jPChud6We0— jimmy craig (@jimmy craig)1627897031.0
@RonFilipkowski A Shadow cabinet meeting, setting up a platform for a new insurrection to seize the government!! Ho… https://t.co/gLot9WUPZM— Patti Rod (@Patti Rod)1627879004.0
@RonFilipkowski It’s another episode of the Treasonous Apprentice.— Meidas Perseveres 1 RT at a Time (@Meidas Perseveres 1 RT at a Time)1627869107.0
Was this "the cabinet meeting" McCarthy referred to? https://t.co/RBWwrMQ8yB— Peggy Mueller 🗽 (@Peggy Mueller 🗽)1627884179.0
*former President Donald Trump https://t.co/efhsvkdVlZ— Aaron Rupar (@Aaron Rupar)1627867175.0
@RonFilipkowski 50k a seat to sit around with bad food and listen to him whine about losing an election. https://t.co/TBTzxoJhjy— Steve (@Steve)1627905663.0
Is this Trump's "shadow cabinet"? And what are they planning? Something nefarious no doubt. https://t.co/jnYa8qOBU6— Stacey H (@Stacey H)1627891162.0
@RonFilipkowski @RepCawthorn Sorry to have to break it to you, but you're the Busey in this season of Apprentice: C… https://t.co/AYNONOaNfX— David F. Soros (@David F. Soros)1627887050.0
- Wacky Advisers Have Roped Trump Into Their QAnon Restoration ... ›
- Poll: Nearly One-Third Of Republicans Believe Trump Will Be ... ›
- Poll: Nearly One-Third Of GOP Voters Believe Trump Will Be ... ›
- Announcing Cheney Ouster, McCarthy Insists GOP Is 'A Big Tent ... ›
- Madison Cawthorn is pictured leaving Trump Tower in NYC while ex ... ›
- Students from Rep. Madison Cawthorn's college said he used 'fun ... ›
- Many are questioning why Trump and Madison Cawthorn were ... ›
- Trump ditches Florida and heads north for the summer - CNNPolitics ›
- Watchdog files complaint against Cawthorn over Capitol riot ... ›
- Who Is Madison Cawthorn Of North Carolina? : NPR ›
- Rep. Madison Cawthorn Introduces 'Donument Act' To Protect ... ›
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Democratic lawmakers are up in arms after House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said it would "be hard not to hit" Nancy Pelosi if he were to win the Speaker's gavel in the 2022 midterms, with a growing number calling for him to either resign or apologize for his remark.
"I want you to watch Nancy Pelosi hand me that gavel. It'll be hard not to hit her with it," McCarthy said at a July 31 event with Tennessee Republican state lawmakers, according to audio published by local Tennessee reporter Vivian Jones.
As the audio spread, Democratic lawmakers condemned McCarthy's remark, saying his violent joke is not funny at a time when lawmakers are already receiving death threats associated with the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection.
"It's been 24 hours since @gopleader McCarthy threatened violence against @SpeakerPelosi. RT if he should apologize or resign," Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) tweeted Sunday night.
Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA) also called for McCarthy's resignation tweetingSunday night that McCarthy "is now threatening to assault the Speaker of the House."
"His lies about the violence on January 6th are disgusting," McGovern added. "I've said it before & I'll say it again — he should RESIGN!!"
Multiple other lawmakers said McCarthy must apologize.
"@GOPLeader, not only are jokes about violence not funny, they can incite violent & tragic outcomes like January 6th," Rep. Donald McEachin (D-VA) tweeted. "This type of behavior is unbecoming of an elected official & diminishes Congress as an institution. You need to apologize & stop the reckless, partisan rhetoric."
A number of other comments made the connection to the insurrection at the Capitol, which McCarthy at one point blamed Trump for but later walked back as he tried to stonewall any investigations into the violent attack.
"Not shocking to see @GOPLeader invoke violence against @SpeakerPelosi while he continues to deny the danger she and so many others, on both sides of the aisle, were in on January 6th," Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) tweeted. "He owes the Speaker an apology."
Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-VA) also said McCarthy's comment "encourages more violence like we saw on January 6th."
Pelosi herself has yet to comment. However, Drew Hammill, her deputy chief of staff, tweeted, "A threat of violence to someone who was a target of a #January6th assassination attempt from your fellow Trump supporters is irresponsible and disgusting."
The relationship between Pelosi and McCarthy has been fraught in recent weeks.
Since Pelosi rejected two of McCarthy's picks for a House committee to probe the insurrection, McCarthy has been wrongly blaming Pelosi for the insurrection. He did despite once blaming Trump and even as Pelosi was a target of the Trump-supporting mob on Jan. 6.
And he's also wrongly blamed her for new mask-wearing requirements on the House side of Capitol Hill, which were not put in place by Pelosi but rather by Congress' attending physician as cases of COVID-19 skyrocket.
McCarthy recently revealed that close to one-third of the House Republican conference has refused to get vaccinated as he argued against the new mask mandate. Every Democratic lawmaker on Capitol Hill is vaccinated.
Pelosi called McCarthy a "moron" for his anti-mask comments.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Trump For House Speaker Is A Bannon Brainstorm - National Memo ›
- Yes, There Is A Conspiracy - National Memo ›
- Cheney: McCarthy Should Testify About Jan. 6, Under Subpoena If ... ›
- McCarthy Decries 'Partisan' Jan. 6 Committee — Which Is Exactly ... ›
- McCarthy Admits 65 House Republicans Are Unvaccinated ... ›
- McCarthy Weirdly Parrots QAnon Rhetoric: 'The Storm Is Coming ... ›
- McCarthy Skirted Ethics Rules To Rent Pollster's Luxury Pad ... ›
- McCarthy Facing GOP Backlash Over Cheney Ouster - National Memo ›
- Kevin McCarthy Won't Discuss Gaetz, But Roger Stone Threatens ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Humiliating CNN Supercut Highlights Kevin ... ›
- Some Democrats call on McCarthy to resign after comment 'hard not ... ›
- McCarthy jokes about hitting Pelosi with gavel if he becomes ... ›
- McCarthy jokes it'll be hard not to 'hit' Pelosi with gavel if he is ... ›
- Democrats call on McCarthy to apologize after he said 'it will be hard ... ›
- McCarthy slammed for joking 'it would be hard not to hit' Pelosi with ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy Joked About Hitting Nancy Pelosi With a Gavel ... ›
- McCarthy blasted for joking about hitting Pelosi with gavel ›
- Kevin McCarthy says 'it will be hard not to hit' Pelosi with gavel if he ... ›