Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has named the first members to the House January 6 Insurrection Special Select Committee.
The chairman will be Mississippi Democrat Bennie Thompson, who led the negotiations for the first bill which the House passed but Republicans in the Senate blocked. Thompson also chairs the House Homeland Security Committee.
Thompson, after being named chair, described the events of January 6 as "domestic terrorism."
Speaker Pelosi also named the first Republican member of Congress, Congresswoman Liz Cheney of Wyoming, who has supported the investigation.
"Other members include Democratic Reps. Zoe Lofgren, of California; Adam Schiff, of California; Pete Aguilar, of California; Stephanie Murphy, of Florida; Jamie Raskin, of Maryland; and Elaine Luria of Virginia," CNN reports.
When asked about House Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy threatening GOP members of Congress, telling them he will strip their committee assignments if they accept membership to the Special Select Committee, Speaker Pelosi interrupted the reporter and declared she is not going to respond to any of McCarthy's remarks.
"It's not political so I'm not getting involved in any discussion that happens in the Republican caucus," Pelosi said.
Rep. Cheney later issued a statement:"Congress is obligated to conduct a full investigation of the most serious attack on our Capitol since 1814. . . . What happened on January 6th can never happen again,.Those who are responsible for the attack need to be held accountable and this select committee will fulfill that responsibility in a professional, expeditious, and non-partisan manner.
"Our oath to the Constitution, our commitment to the rule of law, and the preservation of the peaceful transfer of power must always be above partisan politics."
- Yes, There Is A Conspiracy - National Memo ›
- Capitol Police Officers Blast GOP Leaders For Opposing Jan. 6 ... ›
- Democrats Must Begin Jan. 6 Investigation -- Now - National Memo ›
- Pelosi: 'Democrats Will Proceed To Find The Truth' About ... ›
- Fearful Senate Republicans Will Filibuster To Stop Capitol Riot ... ›
- The Party Of Surrender...To Tyranny - National Memo ›
- GOP Leadership Betrays Bipartisan Deal On 1/6 Commission ... ›
- McCarthy Supported Jan 6 Commission Before He Opposed It ... ›
- McCarthy Decries 'Partisan' Jan. 6 Committee — Which Is Exactly Like Benghazi Panel - National Memo ›
- Why Do Mainstream Media Enable GOP Sabotage Of Jan. 6 Investigation? - National Memo ›
- Cheney Backs Pelosi's Rejection Of GOP Extremists For Jan. 6 Panel - National Memo ›
- House Freedom Caucus Mounts Doomed Bid To Remove Pelosi ›
- Kinzinger Agrees To Join Special Panel Probing Capitol Insurrection - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Officer Pounds Table In Angry Testimony During Select Panel Hearing ›
- Jordan Should Be Called As Jan. 6 Witness — And Here’s What Panel Should Ask Him - National Memo ›
- Capitol Cop Rips Trump’s 'Pathetic Excuse' For Rioters - National Memo ›
- Liz Cheney Targets Trump In Jan. 6 Probe - National Memo ›
- LISTEN: Capitol Police Hero Receives Vile Trumpist Death Threats - National Memo ›
- Why It May Be Too Late For Cheney And Kinzinger - National Memo ›
- Pelosi taps GOP Rep. Liz Cheney for House select committee to ... ›
- Politico: Cheney joins Dems on Jan. 6 probe, defying McCarthy threat ›
- Pelosi names Liz Cheney to committee investigating Jan. 6 attack on ... ›
- Pelosi names GOP Rep. Liz Cheney to Jan. 6 committee, along with ... ›
- Liz Cheney will serve on committee that will investigate January 6 ... ›
- Cheney, Kinzinger are sole GOP votes for Jan. 6 select committee ... ›
- Pelosi names Liz Cheney to serve on Jan. 6 select committee | TheHill ›
- Pelosi names Liz Cheney, other members of Jan. 6 committee to ... ›
- Pelosi appoints Liz Cheney to House select committee investigating ... ›