GOP Rep. Roy Glorifies Lynching At Hearing On Anti-Asian Violence
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Actor and activist George Takei is criticizing Rep. Chip Roy after the Texas Republican congressman glorified lynchings as a form of "justice" during a House hearing on anti-Asian American violence.
Rep. Roy's remarks come just two days after a Georgia gunman shot to death eight people – seven women, six of whom were Asian American, and just one day after he voted against renewing the Violence Against Women Act.
Congressman Roy insisted on trying to divert Thursday's hearing's focus away from attacks on Asian Americans. He made clear he opposes what he called "policing" derogatory rhetoric, and wants the focus to be on "taking out bad guys," while not understanding that derogatory rhetoric, like that promoted by former President Donald Trump about AAPI people can easily lead to increased violence.
"There's old sayings in Texas about, you know, find all the rope in Texas and get a tall oak tree. You know, we take justice very seriously, and we ought to do that. Round up the bad guys," Roy suggested. "That's what we believe."
Takei slammed Rep. Roy, retweeting the above video and saying, "One of the worst lynching incidents in our history was perpetrated against the Chinese community of Los Angeles when some 20 people were killed and hanged by an angry white mob. This language is unacceptable, and Chip Roy is an ignorant inciter."
Roy beat Democrat Wendy Davis last year by seven points in his re-election battle.
UPDATE: Roy later issued a statement doubling down on his endorsement of lynching. "I meant it," he said.
- Texas GOP Says Rep. Roy’s Lynching Endorsement Was ‘Inappropriate’ - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Sandra Oh Pops Up At Protest To Say She's 'Proud to Be Asian' - National Memo ›
- Chip Roy Rebuffs Criticism over Lynching Reference: 'No Apologies ... ›
- Chip Roy rebuked for lynching remark at hearing on Asian American ... ›
- GOP Rep. Chip Roy references lynching at anti-Asian violence ... ›
- 'Get a tall oak tree': Rep. Chip Roy of Texas defends apparent pro ... ›
- GOP Rep. Extols Lynchings During Hearing on Anti-Asian American ... ›
- Grace Meng gives tearful testimony - Atlanta Shooting hearing live ... ›
- Republican Rep. Chip Roy uses hearing on anti-Asian ... ›
- Chip Roy complains about China at hearing about anti-Asian violence ›
- GOP Rep. Chip Roy Extols Lynchings During Hearing on Anti-Asian ... ›