’Seditious Conspiracy’ Complaint Filed Against Three House Members In Capitol Riot
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
An ethics complaint has been filed against three Republican members of Congress over their participation in events that led to the violent and deadly January 6 attempted coup at the U.S. Capitol.
Reps. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina, and Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs of Arizona are accused of "a seditious conspiracy to use force to prevent Congress from carrying out its constitutional and statutory duties to count the votes of the Electoral College," by the Campaign for Accountability, a government ethics watchdog founded by two former members of CREW.
If the House Ethics Office finds any or all of the three Republicans violated federal law, the group is asking for them to be expelled.
Cawthorn spoke at President Trump's January 6 rally (photo), barely hours before the armed insurrection.
"This crowd has some fight in it," Cawthorn told Trump's MAGA supporters. "The Democrats, with all the fraud they have done in this election, the Republicans hiding and not fighting, they are trying to silence your voice. Make no mistake about it, they do not want you to be heard."
North Carolina's WLOS reports that "despite his tweets urging 'millions of patriotic Americans stand for their country,' Cawthorn said he felt no culpability in what unfolded" the day of the attempted coup.
"I don't feel I had any responsibility for them attacking the Capitol," Cawthorn said.
Two days before the domestic terror attack he posted this:
January 6th is fast approaching, the future of this Republic hinges on the actions of a solitary few. Get ready,… https://t.co/GD5iYJspOD— Madison Cawthorn (@Madison Cawthorn) 1609801032
Gosar and Biggs also bear significant responsibility, according to the lead organizer.
"Far-right activist Ali Alexander, who helped rally Trump's supporters ahead of Congress' electoral count, has claimed he planned a rally that preceded the riot with the support of Gosar and Biggs," The Hill reports, citing an article in The Washington Post.
- Republican Lawmakers Seeking Pardons For Involvement In Capitol ... ›
- 'The Day That Broke The GOP': Republicans Abandon Trump In ... ›
- Republicans Blame 'Antifa' For Capitol Assault By Trumpists ... ›
- West Virginia GOP Legislator Charged In Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Hawley: Ethics Probe Of Me Will 'Further Divide The Country ... ›
- Biden's Speech Confronts Capitol Riot And Calls For End To 'Uncivil ... ›
- Hawley And Cruz Face Ethics Complaint Over Capitol Insurrection ... ›
- 'We Love You': Trump Praises Terrorists After Biden Urges Him To ... ›
- House Oversight Seeks FBI Investigation Into Parler's Role In ... ›
- Top Trump Fundraiser Oversaw Planning Of Jan. 6 Rally That Led To Riot - National Memo ›
- Would The Framers Have Viewed The Capitol Riot As An Act Of Treason? - National Memo ›
- House Republicans Don’t Mind Racist Insanity — But They Fear Swing Voters - National Memo ›
- ‘Stop The Steal’ Figure Emerges From Hiding And Vows Vengeance - National Memo ›
- Boebert Comically Clueless About Constitution She Swore To Defend - National Memo ›
- New Jan. 6 Timeline Shows Police And Pentagon Brass Failed To Defend Capitol - National Memo ›
- Congress Debates Bipartisan Commission To Investigate Capitol Attack - National Memo ›
- Boebert Won With Mail Ballots, Now Wants To Kill Them - National Memo ›
- Rep. Gosar Speaks At White Nationalist Event, But GOP Leaders Are Silent - National Memo ›
- For GOP firebrand Rep. Lauren Boebert, anger and suspicion linger ... ›
- Democrats aim to punish House Republicans for Capitol riot - Axios ›
- Senate Democrats file ethics complaint against Republicans Hawley ... ›
- After U.S. Capitol riot, 2,300+ Maryland Republicans flee party ... ›
- Capitol riot: Democrats file ethics complaint against Cruz, Hawley ›
- Democratic Senators File Ethics Complaint Against Cruz, Hawley ... ›
- Senate Democrats File Ethics Complaint Against Cruz, Hawley After ... ›
- Democrats file ethics complaint against Ted Cruz after Capitol riot ... ›