The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Paul Richter, Tribune Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Germany demanded the departure from the country of the top spy at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin on Thursday, dramatizing its deepening unhappiness with reports of U.S. intelligence operations targeting its officials.

Following accusations of two cases of U.S. spying, government spokesman Steffen Seibert announced that “the representative of the U.S. intelligence services at the U.S. Embassy has been asked to leave Germany.”

He said in a statement that the request came against the backdrop of German prosecutors’ investigation of the two recent cases, and the questions that were raised earlier about National Security Agency intelligence-gathering.

“The government takes the matter very seriously,” he said.

One German has been arrested and an investigation has been launched into another in the past two weeks on suspicions of espionage. Both are suspected of passing secrets to the United States, German news organizations have reported.

The expulsion of what some news reports termed the CIA station chief in Berlin reflected German officials’ unhappiness that the Obama administration has been, in their view, too casual about disclosures of the spy operations.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said earlier Thursday that the two countries had “very different approaches” toward intelligence-gathering and needed to increase mutual trust.

Thomas de Maiziere, Germany’s interior minister, said that while the information turned over by one of the suspects appears so far to be “laughable … the political damage is
already disproportionate and serious.”

In Washington, the CIA declined comment on the German order.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest refused to comment on intelligence matters, saying that “any sort of comment on any reported intelligence acts would put at risk U.S. assets, U.S. personnel and the United States national security.”

He said he knew of no contact this week between Obama and Merkel.

The conflict between the two governments began last year when former NSA contractor Edward Snowden exposed U.S. spying operations in Germany, including the monitoring of Merkel’s cellphone. In October, Der Spiegel published an article about NSA operations at the U.S. Embassy with the headline, “The NSA’s Secret Spy Hub in Berlin.”

The rising tensions between the allies comes at a time when they are trying to work together on a range of sensitive issues, including Russia’s intervention in Ukraine, international talks on Iran’s nuclear program, and a transatlantic trade agreement.

Concerns about U.S. spying are broadly shared by the German public. The revelations have further soured public attitudes toward the United States and President Barack Obama, once strongly supported in Germany.

Caitlin Hayden, a National Security Council spokeswoman, declined comment on the “purported intelligence matter.”

But she said: “Our security and intelligence relationship with Germany is an important one, and it keeps Germans and Americans safe. It is essential that cooperation continue in all areas, and we will continue to be in touch with the German government in appropriate channels.”

Staff writer Brian Bennett in Washington contributed to this report.

AFP Photo / Odd Andersen

Interested in world news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Photo by Jose M. on Unsplash

If you missed the retraction from the right-wing online magazine The American Thinker, it's one for the ages. Noting that they had received a warning from lawyers for Dominion Voting Systems, the editors admitted that they had published pieces that "relied on discredited sources who have peddled debunked theories ... These statements are completely false and have no basis in fact. ... We apologize to Dominion for all of the harm this caused them and their employees. We also apologize to our readers for abandoning 9 journalistic principles and misrepresenting Dominion's track record and its limited role in tabulating votes for the November 2020 election. We regret this grave error."

Fox News has issued similar retractions. This is the beginning, not the end, of the story. Dominion has sent letters to 20 other entities and individuals, including One American News Network, Newsmax, Lin Wood, White House Counsel Pat Cippolone and Rudy Giuliani. Sidney Powell, the "Kraken" lawyer in Donald Trump's orbit, got more than a warning. She was slapped with a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit for her outrageous and outlandish claims including that Dominion's voting machines were designed by Hugo Chavez to help him rig elections; that the machines contained secret algorithms to change Donald Trump votes into Joe Biden votes; that Dominion had bribed Georgia officials to obtain its contract with the state; and that she had a video showing the company's founder bragging that his system "could easily change a million votes, no problem."

Keep reading... Show less