Trump's Election Lies Will Spur More Extremist Terror, Intelligence Agencies Warn
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
On Wednesday, U.S. intelligence agencies released their newest assessment of the threat to America from domestic violent extremism, singling out rhetoric like Donald Trump's election lies as a driver of continued violent events.
The unclassified report was released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Department of Justice, and the Department of Homeland Security.
The report notes that violent extremists "pose an elevated threat to the Homeland in 2021" and were "galvanized by recent political and societal events in the United States."
"Newer sociopolitical developments—such as narratives of fraud in the recent general election, the emboldening impact of the violent breach of the US Capitol, conditions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, and conspiracy theories promoting violence—will almost certainly spur some DVEs [domestic violent extremists] to try to engage in violence this year," the report goes on to note.
In the aftermath of his loss to President Joe Biden, Trump has frequently and repeatedly made baseless allegations of fraud against the election process in multiple states.
Trump's team sought to make similar allegations in federal courts in the aftermath of the election and were repeatedly rejected, sometimes even by judges that had been appointed by Trump.
In his interview on Tuesday night with Fox Business's Maria Bartiromo, Trump again reiterated his election falsehoods, lamenting to the conservative host that the "Supreme Court didn't have the courage to overturn elections that should have been overturned."
The January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by pro-Trump rioters was sparked by Trump's lies about the election, with many of those who breached the building citing the desire to prevent the election results from being certified.
Their actions were reinforced by congressional Republicans like Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Josh Hawley (R-MO), who joined with House Republicans in an attempt to object to the certification and overturn the results in Trump's favor.
Biden defeated Trump in both the popular vote and the electoral college, including wins certified by Congress in key states like Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin, Georgia, and Michigan, which Trump had won in 2016.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- The Trump Republicans And The Fuhrerprinzip - National Memo ›
- Republicans Want No Independent Probe Of Jan. 6 Insurrection ... ›
- FBI Probing Contacts Between GOP Members And Capitol Rioters ... ›
- How The Press Enables The GOP's Big Lie -- And Damages ... ›
- Far-Right Wants To Act Out Its Civil War Fantasies Now - National ... ›
- Domestic Terrorism Dominated By Right-Wing Extremists In 2020 ... ›
- With Trump Gone, Security Agencies Can Confront Violent Far Right ... ›
- Top US Agencies Officially Smash Giuliani's Election Conspiracy ... ›
- Report: Right-Wing Terror Attacks Skyrocketed During 2020 - National Memo ›
- Two Days After Primary, Virginia GOP Has No Idea Who It Nominated For Governor ›
- The Big Lie That Makes Vladimir Putin Smile - National Memo ›
- The Real Steal Is Coming — In 2024 ›
- Rosen Testifies About Trump Coup Attempt At Justice Department - National Memo ›
- How Conspiracism Incites Bloody Violence, Damaging Democracy And Society ›
- Bizarre Trump Letter Demands Georgia Officials Name ‘True Winner’ Of 2020 Election ›
- Trump Campaign Memo Shows Giuliani, Powell Knew Election Fraud Claims Were False - National Memo ›
- As President Meets With Schoolkids, Trumpist Thugs Shriek ‘F—k Biden!’ - National Memo ›
- A Year Later, Timeline Shows Trump Always Knew His Fraud Claim Is A 'Big Lie' - National Memo ›
- The Republican Party's Murderous New Normal - National Memo ›
- Trump's 'big lie' has become the GOP's newest voter suppression ... ›
- Why Republicans are keeping Trump's Big Lie alive | Salon.com ›
- Why Republicans are still holding onto the big lie. ›
- Violence by far right is among US's most dangerous terrorist threats ... ›
- Far-right terrorism is on the rise - CNN Video ›
- Extremism Researcher On How Biden Might Confront Far-Right ... ›
- Far-Right Terrorism Is No. 1 Threat, Germany Is Told After Attack ... ›
- Far-Right Groups Are Behind Most U.S. Terrorist Attacks, Report ... ›
- The misinformation media machine amplifying Trump's election lies ... ›
- CPAC conservative conference set to indulge lies about the 2020 ... ›