Top US Agencies Officially Smash Giuliani’s Election Conspiracy Claims
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security issued a joint statement addressing right-wing claims of foreign interference in the 2020 elections — and found that according to an investigation, there is no evidence that such interference occurred in the ways that were alleged.
DOJ and DHS, in their statement, explained, "The Departments investigated multiple public claims that one or more foreign governments owned, directed, or controlled election infrastructure used in the 2020 federal elections; implemented a scheme to manipulate election infrastructure; or tallied, changed, or otherwise manipulated vote counts. The Departments found that those claims were not credible."
The foreign governments mentioned in the press release include those of China and Iran. As DOJ and DHS note, "The Departments found no evidence that any foreign government-affiliated actor manipulated election results or otherwise compromised the integrity of the 2020 federal elections."
Following the 2020 presidential election, then-President Donald Trump and attorneys who supported him — including Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, and Jenna Ellis — claimed that Trump had been the victim of widespread voter fraud. But that claim was totally debunked, and according to former DHS cybersecurity official Christopher Krebs, the election was quite secure. Trump fired Krebs for debunking his own conspiracy theories.
Powell and other pro-Trump attorneys baselessly claimed that the voting technology of Dominion Voting Systems was used to help Joe Biden steal the 2020 U.S. presidential election, suggesting it had nefarious ties to the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. Dominion, debunking Powell's false claims, responded that its voting technology had never even been used in Venezuela, and brought a wave of defamation lawsuits against those falsely making such claims.
Politico reporter Kyle Cheney notes that DOJ and DHS have investigated "Sidney Powell-fueled claims that Venezuela, China and Iran had some sort of control over U.S. election infrastructure" and found no evidence to support such claims.
DOJ and DHS reviewed the Sidney Powell-fueled claims that Venezuela, China and Iran had some sort of control over U… https://t.co/cgYZTRv0Fw— Kyle Cheney (@Kyle Cheney) 1615918823.0
The DOJ/DHS statement released on Tuesday notes that in 2020, election officials went to great lengths to maintain election security.
"During the 2020 election cycle, federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, non-governmental, and private sector partners nationwide worked together in unprecedented ways to combat foreign interference efforts and support election officials, political organizations, campaigns, and candidates in safeguarding their infrastructure," the DOJ/DHS release states. "The Departments remain committed to continuously strengthening the nation's cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, supply chain risk management, public-private partnerships, and public messaging to enhance the resiliency of our democratic institutions."
- Report: Giuliani Tried To Dodge Service In $1B Dominion Voting ... ›
- Giuliani Still Promoting Disinformation On YouTube — Despite ... ›
- The Crisis Of Democracy Is Already Here - National Memo ›
- How The Press Enables The GOP's Big Lie -- And Damages ... ›
- Arizona Legislators Still Pursuing Giuliani's 2020 Fraud Fantasy ... ›
- Georgia DA's Investigation Of Trump Sent To Grand Jury - National ... ›
- Trump's Intel Chiefs Hid Evidence Of Russian Meddling In 2020 ... ›
- Election Lies Will Spur More Extremist Terror, Intel Agencies Warn - National Memo ›
- Why Did Our Top Officials Lie About China — And Russia? - National Memo ›
- Top Republican Says Giuliani Instigated Georgia Voting Restrictions - National Memo ›
- Arizona ‘Audit’ Bolsters 2020 Lies -- And GOP's Growing Insurrection Caucus - National Memo ›
- Trump Aide Meadows Pushed Election Conspiracies On Justice Department - National Memo ›
- Trump Urged Justice Department To Probe QAnon's Conspiracy Theories - National Memo ›
- New York Court Suspends Giuliani’s Law License Over Election Lies - National Memo ›
- CPAC conservative conference set to indulge lies about the 2020 ... ›
- Michael Flynn Re-emerges Pushing QAnon, Stolen 2020 Election Lies ›
- Fact-checking Trump's lies about the 2020 election - Chicago Tribune ›
- Georgia official announces investigations, defends election ›
- Trump pressured Georgia elections investigator to search for ... ›
- DOJ hasn't uncovered widespread fraud that would change election ... ›
- DOJ lets prosecutors announce voter fraud investigations close to ... ›
- Joint Statement from the Departments of Justice and Homeland ... ›