The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

NEW YORK CITY, New York (AFP) – A long-lost silent film directed by Orson Welles in 1938 has been recovered from a warehouse in northeastern Italy, where it will be screened in public for the first time in October.

“Too Much Johnson” was originally intended to be shown as a prologue to a slapstick comedy at the Mercury repertory theatre in New York, but it was never finished.

Until staff at the Cinemazero art house cinema in Pordenone, Italy found the work print in a warehouse earlier this year, it was thought the only known copy was lost in a fire that gutted Welles’ home near Madrid in 1970.

How it wound up in Italy “is still a mystery,” said Kellie Fraver, spokeswoman for the George Eastman House museum of film and photography in Rochester, New York state, which announced its recovery on Wednesday.

What is known is that all but one of the reels were in relatively good shape — and the exception was brought back to life by experts in the Netherlands, without resorting to digital help.

The restored copy of “Too Much Johnson” will get its world premiere on October 9 at the Giornate del Cinema Muto silent-film festival in Pordenone, with a U.S. premiere to follow a week later at George Eastman House.

“Holding in one’s hands the very same print that had been personally edited by Orson Welles 75 years ago provokes an emotion that’s just impossible to describe,” said George Eastman House film curator Paolo Cherci Usai.

Best known for the 1941 classic “Citizen Kane” and, in 1938, the science fiction radio drama “The War of the Worlds,” Kane was a co-founder of the Mercury Theatre. He died in Los Angeles in 1985 at the age of 70.

Photo Credit: AFP/Alberto Pizzoli

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Immigrants crossing from Mexico into the United States

Youtube Screenshot

America needs more immigrants, but we seem determined to shoot ourselves in the foot. Before addressing that self-sabotage, permit a small digression.

Keep reading... Show less

Eric Herschmann

The fight over how to deal with the classified documents that Donald Trump stole from the White House and hid away in Mar-a-Lago is continuing with rulings both from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and in the courtroom of “special master” Judge Raymond Dearie. In the past two days, both of those locations have handed Trump’s team of second-rate lawyers major defeats, with a stay that allows the Department of Justice to continue a criminal investigation, and a ruling that Trump’s vague claims about “declassification” are off the table.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}