Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) on Monday criticized the FBI for requesting the public's help in combating violent extremism.
Blackburn appeared on the conservative Newsmax TV network's National Report program and was asked by host Emma Rechenberg for her reaction to what she called "a quite controversial tweet" posted on the official FBI Twitter account that read, "Family members and peers are often best positioned to witness signs of mobilization to violence. Help prevent homegrown violent extremism."
The agency is currently in the middle of a massive investigation of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump. Over 500 people have been arrested so far.
Rechenberg said people fear the tweet is calling for "reporting people who might have different views from your own, not necessarily extremist one[s]."
After accusing the FBI without evidence of spying on Donald Trump's presidential campaign, Blackburn told Rechenberg:
Tennesseans are very upset with what they see as a double standard with how the FBI and other federal agencies move forward. But bear in mind, they were there collecting information or surveilling the Trump campaign. And for them to put this out, encourage people to do this — I have some questions about it and many others have questions about it. Of course, everyone wants to do their part to keep out nation safe and to keep our communities safe. But to put this out and to encourage people to begin to snitch on their family members if they have a difference of opinion is something that is a little bit over the top.
Despite what Rechenberg and Blackburn say, the FBI's tweet did not call opinions or political disagreements criteria for reporting concerns about violent extremism. The document linked in the tweet never mentions the word "opinion."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Greene And Gaetz Now Claim FBI Instigated Capitol Riot - National ... ›
- FBI Probe Uncovered Virginia Extremists Making Bombs In Wake Of ... ›
- FBI Warns Against Far-Right Violence In Every State Over Coming ... ›
- Senate Judiciary Chairman Demands FBI Answer For Jan. 6 ... ›
- Post-Insurrection Crackdown On Criminal Extremists Is Gathering ... ›
- Poll: Nearly Half Of Republicans Justify Political Violence By ‘Patriotic Americans’ - National Memo ›
- The Capitol Riot Aftermath Bodes Ill For Democracy - National Memo ›
- The Sedition Caucus, Under Oath - National Memo ›
- WATCH: FBI Director Christopher Wray Testifies on January 6 ... ›
- Opinion | On Jan. 6 came the white supremacists. Now comes the ... ›
- Marsha Blackburn is getaway driver for Russian meddling ... ›
- Sen. Marsha Blackburn blocks bill requiring campaigns to notify FBI ›
- Wray: Racially motivated violent extremism makes up most of FBI's ... ›