Reprinted with permission from Alternet
House Republicans have no problem with one of their members posting a tweet depicting him murdering Democratic Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez but they are outraged at 13 members of their caucus who voted to pass President Joe Biden's infrastructure bill.
According to Jake Sherman's Punchbowl News, rank and file GOP members of Congress are trying to force Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy to strip the 13 of their committee assignments, noting that "GOP leadership is bracing" for the attempt. McCarthy was opposed to the bill, which will vastly improve basic necessities like roads, bridges, rail, and the nation's ports, expand broadband access, and help localities protect against climate change.
Not only are GOP members of Congress angry the 13 voted for the legislation, they are angry they voted "early," rather than forcing Democrats to cross the majority threshold of votes to pass the bill without Republicans.
"Much of the anger is directed at Rep. John Katko (R-NY), who voted early for the legislation. Katko is the ranking member on the Homeland Security Committee. Katko told multiple lawmakers on the House floor that he had seen Rep. Jim Banks (R-IN) on television talking about the infrastructure bill, and he was voting early."
Members of the Sedition Caucus, including Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert, and Matt Gaetz have publicly attacked their fellow Republicans for voting to help the American people by voting for the bill.
Greene especially has been at war with her 13 GOP colleagues, even posting their phone numbers. Here are two of several of her attacks:
Katko 202-225-3701\nBacon 202-225-4155\nVan Drew 202-225-6572\nYoung 202-225-5765\nUpton 202-225-3761\nKinzinger 202-225-3635\nGonzalez (OH) 202-225-3876\nReed 202-225-3161\nSmith 202-225-3765\nGabarino 202-225-7896\nMalliotakis 202-225-3371\nFitzpatrick 202-225-4276\nMcKinley 202-225-4172https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1456857849984913410\u00a0\u2026— Marjorie Taylor Greene \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8 (@Marjorie Taylor Greene \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8) 1636177029
And Congressman Gaetz told far right Newsmax host Grant Stinchfield Katko should be stripped of his ranking member status:
Gaetz on @Stinchfield1776: @RepJohnKatko should be removed as the Republican lead on the House Homeland Security Committee. \n\nWATCH: https://rumble.com/voxe1t-gaetz-rips-13-republicans-who-voted-for-democrat-infrastructure-bill.html\u00a0\u2026pic.twitter.com/NNkvsljlzH— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@Rep. Matt Gaetz) 1636422221
- As Democrats Pursue Biden Agenda, Republicans Are Sabotaging ... ›
- Kinzinger Lampoons Greene's Latest 'Communism' Rant Over ... ›
- Only 13 House Republicans Support Infrastructure Bill - National ... ›
- Exploding Scandals Leave Minnesota GOP In Ruins - National Memo ›
- Top GOP Donors Alarmed By Republican Support For Biden Infrastructure Bill - National Memo ›
- Republicans at Odds Over Infrastructure Bill as Vote Approaches ... ›
- House GOP members who voted for infrastructure bill face backlash ›
- These 6 House Democrats voted against the infrastructure bill ... ›
- If the GOP's civil war keeps up, voters are likely to flee ›
- 'Really embarrassing': GOP erupts into swing state civil war ... ›