Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Dr. Jill Biden, the First Lady, appears on the cover of the new issue of VOGUE and conservatives are furious.
As First Lady, Melania Trump was never given the same honor, although she did appear on a VOGUE cover in 2005 in her $100,000 bridal gown. First Lady Michelle Obama graced VOGUE's cover three times, and as First Lady Hillary Clinton did once.
So did First Ladies Eleanor Roosevelt, Mamie Eisenhower, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Lady Bird Johnson, Pat Nixon, Betty Ford, Rosalynn Carter, Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, and Laura Bush.
On Christmas Day 2020 then-President Donald Trump expressed outrage that Melania Trump, as First Lady, had never been featured on the cover of any of the big four fashion magazines.
But that was, at least in part, her doing.
"To be on the cover of Vogue doesn't define Mrs. Trump," then-First Lady Melania Trump's spokesperson, Stephanie Grisham, said in 2019, "she's been there, done that long before she was first lady. Her role as first lady of the United States and all that she does is much more important than some superficial photo shoot and cover."
InStyle reported that "Grisham added that Melania wouldn't be available for a second cover, even if the invitation was presented to her. Instead, she's focusing on her Be Best campaign."
Here's how some on the right are responding.
- First lady Jill Biden graces Vogue cover: 'I will never waste this ... ›
- In Jill Biden's Vogue cover, there's optimism and rebuke - The ... ›
- Jill Biden lands Vogue cover after Melania Trump snub ›
- Jill Biden Gets 'Vogue' Cover After Melania Trump Was Snubbed by ... ›
- House Republicans under fire for 'childish' attack on Jill Biden G7 ... ›
- Jill Biden covers Vogue, talks White House living, Joe Biden, tights ›
- Vogue Puts Jill Biden on the Cover - The New York Times ›
- Jill Biden on the Campaign of a Lifetime | Vogue ›