Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Kavita Kumar, Star Tribune

Target Corp. confirmed Sunday night that a “glitch” in its system had caused delays at registers at some of its U.S. stores, but added that it is not in any way related to a data security issue or a hacking attack.

Customers around the country took to social media Sunday night reporting long checkout lines due to registers not working.

Target did not elaborate on the exact problem or problems, but said it would provide updates as they became available. It also was not immediately clear how many stores were affected by the glitch.

“Earlier this evening, Target experienced a glitch that impacted the speed of checkout at some of our U.S. stores. Since that time, we’ve been able to restore our check-out process. Once again, we sincerely apologize to anyone inconvenienced by this issue,” Molly Snyder, a company spokeswoman, said in an email Sunday.

The glitch comes at an inopportune time for the retailer, which is still trying to regain customers’ trust following the crippling data breach late last year in which millions of customers’ information was stolen by cyberthieves.

Since then, the Minneapolis-based retailer has been stepping up promotions to draw shoppers back to its stores throughout the country.

On Sunday night, Target employees tried to placate shoppers irritated by the long lines by handing out $3 coupons in some stores that said, “We are sorry for any delay you experienced in our store.”

At the Target store on Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis, a security guard warned shoppers as they entered the store that some of the registers were down so there may be a wait to check out. Employees also handed out free cookies and bottled water along with the coupons to customers as they waited.

On Twitter, some customers also reported receiving free Starbucks items and popcorn.’

Photo: J.Reed via Flickr

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy

Screenshot from Aug. 25, 2020 edition of Daily Kos / Youtube

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

A federal district judge in New York ruled Monday that the U.S. Postal Service has to treat election mail as a priority, another loss for Postmaster General Louis DeJoy in the courts. The judge, Victor Marrero, also ordered that overtime and extra deliveries had to be permitted by the USPS as election mail demands. This came in a suit brought by several candidates for office and New York voters against Donald Trump and DeJoy.

Keep reading... Show less